Keep my 5870s or wait for 6970s to come out?

E13thirty7

I just bought 2 Radeon HD 5870s for my new build, got them like 3 weeks ago, so yes, theyre still new. The new 6000 series is about to release the new 6970, which is said to be the new high end equivalent to the 6000 series as the 5870 was to the 5000 series. The 5870s are BEAST video cards still, but with the high anticipation and talk about the 6970s coming out it almost makes me want to just go for those since theyre a more up-to-date card. I just have a few questions though. Should i just keep my 5870s or get the 6970s when they come out? And, is there a HUGE noticeable difference between the 6970 and 5870? I just cant seem to find any info on it at all, what are the specs? expected price? release date? etc....what should i do?

What do you plan on doing with your 5870s?

You'd be hard pressed to sell them for more than 200 bucks each, since the 6870 is the same performance for quite a bit cheaper.

I don't know what reviews you've been reading. The 5870 still beats the 6870 (though I admit, not by much), the HD 5870 has more overclocking headroom, and that's where it beats the 6870.

I don't know what reviews you've been reading. The 5870 still beats the 6870 (though I admit, not by much), the HD 5870 has more overclocking headroom, and that's where it beats the 6870.

Well, they are very close to say the least.

And ATI/AMD are well known to improve overall performance in driver updates. Usually in the first couple of months after release.

Well in the crossfire reviews the 6870's beat the 5970 and lose to the 5870's which is not bad considering that they are mid-range . I sense that the 6970 is going to be a monster and fermi-killer and even more so for two of them ! But then again you dont know the prices yet so I would just keep the 5870's for now.

keep. theres nothing out there that will seriously stress what you have now. and if it does stress it, I doubt the 6970 will be all that much better.

edit: and the answer is always keep what you have, until you are actually doing something that requires more, unless you simply have money to blow and need to wave your epeen around

Edited by Fight Game

keep. theres nothing out there that will seriously stress what you have now. and if it does stress it, I doubt the 6970 will be all that much better.

edit: and the answer is always keep what you have, until you are actually doing something that requires more, unless you simply have money to blow and need to wave your epeen around

We're on the internet, e-peen is all we have. :evilgrin: