Corsair H50 - Good or Bad?

MxGladiator

When I do a build with a entry level water cooler I usually go with something like a Thermiltake big water and I have tried a Aqua gate S1 a few years ago. I installed a Corsair H50 about a year ago for a friend but never really got any feedback on the results he had with it other than "it did not leak" :nyea: So if I am looking to do some mild overclocking is it worth the $70 or is it just a half step up from a quality air cooler?

When I do a build with a entry level water cooler I usually go with something like a Thermiltake big water and I have tried a Aqua gate S1 a few years ago. I installed a Corsair H50 about a year ago for a friend but never really got any feedback on the results he had with it other than "it did not leak" :nyea: So if I am looking to do some mild overclocking is it worth the $70 or is it just a half step up from a quality air cooler?

I have the Corsair A70, i am a mild/newb overclocker. 15% and lower lol. My CPU is 28 degrees at idle, it only has jumped to 42 while playing BFBC2 or Metro 2033 all high settings 4x AA. So if your not giving your CPU juice/volts and OC'ing it hard then go with the A70 i have nothing bad to say about it. And pick up some Artic Silver too. But i have seen revies about the H50 and they were all good. Not great but good.

I have the Corsair A70, i am a mild/newb overclocker. 15% and lower lol. My CPU is 28 degrees at idle, it only has jumped to 42 while playing BFBC2 or Metro 2033 all high settings 4x AA. So if your not giving your CPU juice/volts and OC'ing it hard then go with the A70 i have nothing bad to say about it. And pick up some Artic Silver too. But i have seen revies about the H50 and they were all good. Not great but good.

Thanks for the reply, That was my first take on the H50 as well, not great but good. I have never installed a A70 but I like the results you are getting. I will look in to using one in the future.

I really like the H50. I used it to replace a CNPS10X Extreme. My temps were only slightly higher (1-2C), but the noise was much less. I used it both with a E8500 & a Q9550 with a "decent" OC. (4.4Ghz & 4.0Ghz)

Edited by mikedosul

I really like the H50. I used it to replace a CNPS10X Extreme. My temps were only slightly higher (1-2C), but the noise was much less. I used it both with a E8500 & a Q9550 with a "decent" OC. (4.4Ghz & 4.0Ghz)

Thanks for the info. To keep your temps down did you have to run the radiator fan on high all the time?

Thanks for the info. To keep your temps down did you have to run the radiator fan on high all the time?

No, I think the highest I've ever seen it run was around 1300RPM, but it seems to normally idle around 900RPM or so.

No, I think the highest I've ever seen it run was around 1300RPM, but it seems to normally idle around 900RPM or so.

Nice results, I will note that both the E8500 and the Q9550 are 45nm CPU's so theoretically they don't produce as much heat as say a 65nm cpu but that gives me some good info. Thanks!

Actually, compaired to some of the air coolers out, the H50 is not a step up.

Both, Prolimatech Megahalems, and Thermalright's Venomous X, will out perform the H50 in cooling.

Noise wise, yes, the H50 will be more quiet, but in my case, (CM ATCS-840), I can barely hear the fans, that includes 6 case fans (3-120mm, and 3-230mm), all low noise fans.

So if your concerned about noise, then the H50 should do you good! But there are some better alternatives, if noise is not an issue.

I've also read, some have changed out the H50's fan, for a higher output fan, and had better cooling results.

Just an example, I've taken a X3380 (Xeon), cpu to over 4.8GHz with the Prolimatech (dual fan setup)

Edited by AIinc

I love my H50. I upgraded the fan that came with it though, and instead use two higher flow fans. It does as well as any other high end air cooler, but doesnt weigh a ton and look like a big monster in your case!

I love my H50. I upgraded the fan that came with it though, and instead use two higher flow fans. It does as well as any other high end air cooler, but doesnt weigh a ton and look like a big monster in your case!

The radiator still looks like "a monster" to me, it's just not on the CPU. It looks like a monster kite.

I was thinking of getting an H50 a long while ago but I didn't get it because it's garbage for that kind of money. Better than air (if the setup is bad), but not as good as real water cooling.

My suggestion: Forget this and save up some more cash for a nice water cooling system.

Garbage... Actually, it is not garbage for the money. Use a push and pull config and it outperforms any air cooling. Thousands are using it and do not think it is garbage. You can see the testimonials from people who actually own it.......It is actually a decent solution.

Edited by Drdeath