MODDING - is spray painting a graphics card a bad idea?

You might want to check the ignition temperature of the paint. Gaming hard for a couple hours then 'smoke flames and destruction'

I think the ignition temp has nothing to do when it is dry ........

Edited by Drdeath

Dry paint is just as flammable (almost) as wet paint. Due to the heat it may peel and flake and then those particles will be even easier to ignite. The ignition point of paint thinner, contained in high quantity in spray paint (hence the need for multiple layers) is around 40C. (NOTE: That is 40C direct heat.) Thus the ignition paint of the paint itself cannot be that much higher. Especially as it will be a thin coat.

would probably be ok if you used enamel primer/paint that is water or alcohol based .

Card might get hotter though.

Another option might be to cover the back of the card in epoxy,

I know a lot of custom circuit makers encase their prototype designs in colored epoxy before shipping them to china (reverse engineering), but they probably produce less heat than a graphics card.

You could try some of the high heat paints.

I think the Eastwood company sells it in their catalog.

I believe you could get them from Autozone and Napa.

As well as other retail stores. Like Kmart and Walmart.

Remind me to keep my cars out of the sun.

They just might ignite.

I said "DIRECT HEAT" if it was just 40C ambient everything would burn up down here. Anyway thats just some paint, (with alot of thinner) car paint obviously takes alot more heat than that.

Maybe look into liquid electrical tape. Its non-conductive and I belive it has a high heat threshold. It is an insulator though, so there will probably heat issues. You could try not painting anything that generates a significant amount of heat.

Dry paint is just as flammable (almost) as wet paint. Due to the heat it may peel and flake and then those particles will be even easier to ignite. The ignition point of paint thinner, contained in high quantity in spray paint (hence the need for multiple layers) is around 40C. (NOTE: That is 40C direct heat.) Thus the ignition paint of the paint itself cannot be that much higher. Especially as it will be a thin coat.

You do realize that flash point != ignition point...right? The ignition point of paint thinner is well over 200 C. The flash point is simply the temperature required for it to evaporate into a flammable mixture in air. ;)

Also - dry paint isn't anywhere NEAR as flammable as wet spray paint (as it no longer contains any solvent).