MODDING - is spray painting a graphics card a bad idea?

I have just purchased the palit gtx460 2gb which, as lovely as it is, is red. the looks are all on the underside with the gloss black finish and fan etc but the pcb on the bottom (the side that can be seen through my window) is red and i was wondering if anyone had tried spraying any components.

I intend to try this regardless of how bad an idea it is on my wireless lan card to test and then possibly on my old 8500 (oh my god crysis now looks AMAZING!!!) but i am really not sure if its worth potentially destroying my lovely gtx460

Any tips would be appreciated!!

That's a good question.

If the spray-paint itself has any type of metal in it at all, you'll probably fry it (short circuits everywhere.)

But testing it on a wireless card may provide interesting results. You'll have to tell us what happens.

But testing it on a wireless card may provide interesting results.

+1 Especially if you use, say, lead based paint. I would try it in your secondary. If you have 1. Otherwise, 'lend' it to a 'friend'. :ph34r:

Do tell us the results.

+1 Especially if you use, say, lead based paint. I would try it in your secondary. If you have 1. Otherwise, 'lend' it to a 'friend'. :ph34r:

Do tell us the results.

I don't think lead based paint is legal anymore... :nyea:

I don't think lead based paint is legal anymore... :nyea:

It's not but many paints have metal flakes in them for extra shiny. I would suggest a matte color just to be sure.

I am not sure it is a bad idea but if something doesn't go wrong on the cheap card it doesn't mean that it wont go bad on a different one.

This will undoubtedly void your warranty.

I would say a primer is your best bet, I am no expert though.

figure out what paint you want to use then look it up and see if it has conductivity or buy it and paint a board the use a multimeter to test continuity since wood is not conductive when dry let the paint dry then do the test

Just spray the cover to the fan. I wouldn't spray the actual card. That is not smart if you ask me. I have no idea why anyone would phantom this idea with a potentially expensive piece of hardware. By no means am I saying it will not work but not worth the risk. It would be cool if it can be done.

Edited by Drdeath