Cooling video cards

Groedius

I have 2 x 8800 GTXs which still seem to run well with pretty much anything i through at them. However ive noticed having the 2 of them in SLI they seem to run exceptionally hot under full load can be at 80 - 90 degrees. Was looking for a way to help to keep them cooler is there any good coolers compatible with SLI or should i just put a fan on them or what would be the best option to help keep them cooler

Have you got control of the graphic card fan speeds via something like MSI Afterburner?

Two cards so close are going to generate some heat but perhaps a couple of fans to improve your case cooling may help?

You're next and only step for better cooling is water cooling. My overclocked GTX 460 1GB's in SLI run 28C idle and 43C max. Before that, the non-reference fans I had were loud at 100% speeds, and max temps reached 83C.

Dont really want to go for a water cooled solution really because I think within a year or so the cards will be replaced and the blocks are like 40 quid each or more which is a bit steep and I could spend that 80 - 100 pound on a new single card soon. I have control of the cards fan speeds and there on like 90 % One of them seems to make a bit of a weird noise if i turn it up any higher then that and they still run that hot mostly due to that they are so close together. I guess if water cooling is my only option and there not overheating then ill just have to leave them as they are.

If your modding skills are up to it and you have room you could install a fan on the case side to blow air directly at the cards, it may reduce the temperatures a little? Try it with the case side off and aim a 120mm cooling fan at them if you have one. Your temperatures are high but not excessive and your cards should be OK.

I have an side mounted fan thats currently set on taking air out. Would it work better as sucking air in then ?

Try it!

That's how I'd have it. Let the power supply and a rear mounted fan take the air out.

If your modding skills are up to it and you have room you could install a fan on the case side to blow air directly at the cards, it may reduce the temperatures a little? Try it with the case side off and aim a 120mm cooling fan at them if you have one. Your temperatures are high but not excessive and your cards should be OK.

Those temps are perfectly fine for 8800GTX's - I wouldn't bother spending money on them if they aren't having problems with the heat.

OP your temps are well within the factory tolerances, just make sure they don't get too much hotter and make sure the heat sinks are fairly dustfree

My GTX275 gets to 110c @40% fan speed but @ 100 its like 89C @100%load

Do you game with your computer in the desert out under the sun those temps are NOT at all what I'd imagine that card putting out.

Maybe blow out the card's heatsink with some compressed air!!

i am using dual ENGTX 460 TOP.

but the temp of the card on the top while playing games rises up to 80+c

are the temp is ok for my VGA??

i'm using coolers master CM690 II PLus casing...

All available space for Case fan is already install with 120mm cooler master fan.

But still the temp is high....

I'm thinking to replace it with Cooler Master HAF X...

would this action can reduce my VGA temp...

Helpppp...

Edited by necrom