11k Render Machine

RogerDeath

@Waco: Yep, this time we got the right PSU. Managed to hook everything up without using any extra cables (yet) since this PSU was literally made for this motherboard.

1200 watts is about what the 480s can pull on their own though...under heavy load you may very well end up blowing up that power supply.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1200 watts is about what the 480s can pull on their own though...under heavy load you may very well end up blowing up that power supply.

Well that sucks! Would getting a higher-end 500w PSU for one/two PSUs work you think?

Well that sucks! Would getting a higher-end 500w PSU for one/two PSUs work you think?

I think I would have bought an adequate one to start. Most power supplies aren't too happy being loaded on only the 12 volt rail so running a second one is somewhat troublesome.

:withstupid:

There is no way in hell that a 1200 watt PSU will hold that system at full load. I hope you guys have some spare parts on hand because you are going to need them.

Alright, so we got the machine actually running. Now the issue we are having is that nVidia is not letting utilize all four graphics cards at the same time even though they are all bridged together. Thus, any benchmarks running off these GPUs will have to wait. Good news is, 24-core F@H will help out Stanford really well. It will probably end up running for the rest of today until sometime tomorrow.

Once the SLI works and we know that we will be able to run the whole thing under intensive load without any issues then comes the overclocking of the CPUs (leaving those GPUs alone, they run hot enough already). Until then, keep an eye on my F@H score and watch to see how fast it will be climbing!

Now the issue we are having is that nVidia is not letting utilize all four graphics cards at the same time even though they are all bridged together.

:pfp: keep trying lol

Edited by hornybluecow

• 4 weeks later...

The one thing I would do right now is underclock all of those gpu's or take one out until you can get a 1500watt power supply. To overclocked processors will put out well over 300watts total. 300+1200=Bad news for most power supplies. The only think I know of that will get close to powering that system at stock would be a Silverstone 1500watt psu.

Please underclock those cards until you get an adequate PSU. If that PSU blows it could take the motherboard and other components with it. Tell these people that. It would be a shame for that system to take a giant dump at this point.

When this comes out if it ever does try to get one 2000watt PSU.

For now a 1500watt PSU is probably your best option.

However you might be able to run a supplementary psu. Hook up the green cables together and run them through the same ground wire as the one that is on the on switch. This might do it. 750+ would be a good start for the second one.