11k Render Machine

RogerDeath

I know little about rendering but I can't imagine it pushing the graphics cards has hard as Furmark so you maybe OK?

If doing raytracing or something similar I could easily see the power usage pushing near the limits of the PSU.

Damn that is a beast. In my old department at University of Arizona we used a bunch of Apple Xserves for this same rendering purpose. Only thing we needed to do to get them to run in our setup was install an OS and put them in a rack. No need for this power calculation and worry :P

Xserves don't usually cost $11k either IIRC. :P

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was looking for this the other day. i bet it's still sitting on someones desk not being used. sell those 480s and get a single 590. might do the job ever better.

as for ray-tracing they have been able to do it in real time using CUDA and 2x Quadro 6000s. At 2fps a second i think they have some time before any single rendering computer will be doing this. Yeah it would push any GPU to it's limits + high power.

still think it was a massive waste of money.

Edited by hornybluecow

I just saw this, nice beast! I wont cry about the heat/cost, it doesn't matter what it is if its what you guys want/need.

But I was wondering, if its a computer science class then how did you guys have so much trouble? I figure someone/some entity with 11K would know what to get or at least how to assemble it... :teehee::whistling: