Best Mid Range Card?

meorz

okay, i hear that the ATi 9600XT is one awesome card. it's a mid range card that can actually stand up to some of the high end cards. is this true?

i suppose the other mid range comparison is the GF FX5600? from memery...

my mobo will only support AGP4X, it seems like a silly question to me, but if i buy the 9600XT will it work at 4X?

and another question, if i'm buying this card that fully supports directX9, how far away is directX10?

The 9600XT will work fine at 4X (there isn't much difference b/t 4x and 8x)

I am currently using the 3.9 drivers (need to update <_<); the previous drivers from 3.7 and better are great. The installation for each driver package was flawless. Newegg.com has the Sapphire 9600XT for about $160, plus a coupon for HL(all mods) and HL2 once released. I give it an A for performance, stability, and price. B)

DirectX9 is good enough for most games out today and future games.

Go for it! ^_^

The 9600XT will work fine at 4X (there isn't much difference b/t 4x and 8x)

I am currently using the 3.9 drivers (need to update <_<); the previous drivers from 3.7 and better are great. The installation for each driver package was flawless. Newegg.com has the Sapphire 9600XT for about $160, plus a coupon for HL(all mods) and HL2 once released. I give it an A for performance, stability, and price. B)

DirectX9 is good enough for most games out today and future games.

Go for it! ^_^

thanks very much!

i forgot to ask if it's worth going the extra money ($280AU) for a 256MB card compared to the $250AU 9600XT 128MB.

i've currently got 768MB PC2100 RAM. with a celeron 1700. so i don't know how much more performance i'll get out of an extra 128MB.

I think that the 5900 is better. BFG sells it for only 175$US which is very close to the 9600XT price. It has 400mhz with 8 pipes and 800mhz at 256bit memory. Very impressive specs for a "mid range" card. The card was originally intended to be Nvidia's flagship card but it was toned down slightly and the price was reduced by 200$. I own an ATI card myself and i LOVE their cards but dont give me that "oh 9600XT beasts the 5900 in HL2" crap. We all know that game wont come out in atleast another year or two. As far as benchmarking in games that are out TODAY. The 5900 beats a 9600XT in about 90% of games/tests.

conflict is what this site is all about :D

and folding... folding is very important if your not folding then you should be because you have the potential to save lives. Saving lives is good. So fold. If you dont fold ill hunt you down and kill u.. :angry: Just kidding ;) or maybe im not.. :angry:

crapit! now i was set on getting the 9600XT and you've popped up another confilct. i'll have a cheack of the prices...

Just go for the 9600xt...that's a great card. The geforce fx series sucks in dx9, but ati cards LOVE dx9. Yay ATI!

the 9600xt is a good card but if you can swing about 220 id get a 9700pro its almost as fast as the 9800pro and when overclocked the perofrmance is on par with a 9800pro at stock speeds. sometimes you can find a 9700pro for 200 if you search hard enoguh. i thought the 5900 only used 4 pipes on there cards might be wrong as i dont keep up with nvidia hardware to much

the 9600xt is a good card but if you can swing about 220 id get a 9700pro its almost as fast as the 9800pro and when overclocked the perofrmance is on par with a 9800pro at stock speeds. sometimes you can find a 9700pro for 200 if you search hard enoguh. i thought the 5900 only used 4 pipes on there cards might be wrong as i dont keep up with nvidia hardware to much

Amen to that! I absolutley LOVE my 9700pro. Cost me about 220 bucks when I got it (it's a flashed non-pro)...I get 5500 in 3dmark03 and 16k in 3dmark01. I want to see a 9600xt do that!