Considering A Swiftech Peltier

Xero

i have a bit of a delema..... i need better cooling. my poor cpu is normally running 200x11, and sometimes 200x11.5. my idle temp is around 51deg, load being 57-61. so i am in search of a better cooler b/c this Coolermaster Aero7 just isnt cutting it. so, i talked to my dad about getting a Watercooling setup, but he freaked cuz he thinks ill burn the house down putting water on electonics (and somewhat reasonably so). so, im left with another option... a pelter. i have been eyeing a peltier from swiftech, the MCX462+T. its really cheap for only 90 dollars, but i know i need another powersuply.

the question is... how do i hook up the peltier to a second powersuply, where do i put the second powersuply, and how do i get the powersuply to turn on?!!! i am not interested in the reccomended Meanwell S320-12 powersuply, because i dont have 140 dollars more to spend on it. so, if anybody could help me with finding a powersupply that can mount in a few 5-1/4 bays and somehow turn on when my computer turns on (or a switch), that would be great. the powersuply has to have a minimum of 20watts on the +12V, however anything above that would be better.

i also plan on getting a Thermaltake smartfan, which puts out like 75CFM, which is pretty descent. my other option is, if they make such a thing, to find a 80mm to 92mm fan adapter. is that possible??

thanks for any help!

Edited by Xero

so, i talked to my dad about getting a Watercooling setup

Welcome to the club. <_<

This should help:

The MCX462+T a tad cheaper :) oops it's out of stock. Sorry :(.

92 mm brackets for the MCX462+ (they should work on the MCX462+T). I'd recommend a Tornado if you do use the brackets, and if you are worried about noise, I'd recommend the Vantec Nexus.

Personnaly i dont recommend pelts to anybody who dont have a clue or if you dont have a friend who has one.

It's a lot of trouble(much more than WC that you just have to install and go) any owner can vouch for that but if you've made your mind on it and want to do a big PSU surgery here's how to solve your problems.

http://www.freewebs.com/asche/mousepadandpsuhowto.htm

Bottom of the page ;)

EDIT : wow this is my 1000 posts :lol::D it's true i have no life lol

Edited by kobalt

sweet... 67 bucks yay! thanks iggy, i will probably get the 92mm thing. but im still dazed by the PSU thing... could use some help on this one.

also, another somewhat stupid question. if i do this pelt setup.... will it really give me a better o/c?? or, have i just hit my limit on the cpu and a peltier will just be a big waste of money? thanks for the fast responce

As i said pelts are for maniac oc'ers usually nuts about speed and always wanting more if you have the usual cpu i suggest to get a faster one before giving yourself all that trouble ;)

I am in the same ball park you are in sir.. I have the MX462-t

I have the meanwell PSU.. I did not pay 140 bucks for it though.. only 120..

I know u said u dont wanna spend that kinda cash on a PSU.. but I can tell u this much.. if u dont spend the cash.. U wont get the wattage you need..

a second computer PSU will not cut it.. I have tryed.. it just doesnt get the power it needs..

now what I did was buy an 80mm to 120mm fan adaptor. so I can get a fan with 108CFMs but runs at like 35db.. so its very quiet..

on that pelt u want something that pushes around.. 80+cfms to keep the hot side of that pelt nice n cool..

Id recommend doing what u wanted to do and go for a 92mm or even a 120mm fan.. u get tons more cfms and also quietness.. heres a pic of my stuff..

What I will end up doing is putting the pelt and the fan both on the meanwell.. PSU so that way if my system is shut down.. the fan will still be running while the pelt is running..

I am going to add an on and off switch to the PSU so I can use that to turn on and off the PSU when I chose..

i have a bit of a delema..... i need better cooling. my poor cpu is normally running 200x11, and sometimes 200x11.5. my idle temp is around 51deg, load being 57-61. so i am in search of a better cooler b/c this Coolermaster Aero7 just isnt cutting it. so, i talked to my dad about getting a Watercooling setup, but he freaked cuz he thinks ill burn the house down putting water on electonics (and somewhat reasonably so). so, im left with another option... a pelter. i have been eyeing a peltier from swiftech, the MCX462+T. its really cheap for only 90 dollars, but i know i need another powersuply.

the question is... how do i hook up the peltier to a second powersuply, where do i put the second powersuply, and how do i get the powersuply to turn on?!!! i am not interested in the reccomended Meanwell S320-12 powersuply, because i dont have 140 dollars more to spend on it. so, if anybody could help me with finding a powersupply that can mount in a few 5-1/4 bays and somehow turn on when my computer turns on (or a switch), that would be great. the powersuply has to have a minimum of 20watts on the +12V, however anything above that would be better.

i also plan on getting a Thermaltake smartfan, which puts out like 75CFM, which is pretty descent. my other option is, if they make such a thing, to find a 80mm to 92mm fan adapter. is that possible??

thanks for any help!

http://www.themodfathers.com/modfatha/articles/pelts.php

I would not use a pelt unless you are going to use a nice water cooling setup to go with it. Also the meanwell is an excellant PSU and they advertise it to fit in a 5.25 bay well its 2" thich and takes up 1 bay and part of another and also puts out heat that would be added inside the case. First thing you are not so much looking watts in a power supply but a good PSU that you count on that will put out the amps that you need and with my 226watt pelt that is 24amps, so look and see how much a quality PSU is that puts out enough amps and not one of these cheap ones, you need one you can can count on to supply the power you need. Still I would not run a pelt unless you are water cooling look at the link above and it will give you an idea of what you are getting into

Peltier is a very old technology. It came about the turn of 19th Century. It consumes a lot power than it gets out, and when it reaches close to its limit the reverse effect begins. In another word, the cold side becomes the hot side.

The base of overclocking is to get the extra for free. When you have to add in more than the cost of faster processor, you defeat the purpose.

Heat is something that could be resolved easily. Your processor even overclocked to your speed is only generating about 70 Watts. Any decent heatsink today with a mildly turn 80 mm fan (sub-3000 rpm) would provide a less than 0.35 C/W rating. If you have good case ventilation, like 1x or 2x 80mm intake and exhaust with 5-7 C higher than ambient temp you should not have the heat problem.

0.35c/w x 77 watts + 22 C room temp + 7 C case temp = 55.95 C

Okay, add the c/w from the thermal paste, take something like = 0.08 c/w

0.08 x 77 = 6 C

Your total 100% loaded temp = 56 + 6 = 62 C

Since you cannot lower the 77 Watts, your target would be the c/w of the heatsink, lower case temp. You see, the thermal paste represent a very small factor in the heat department.

yeah.. u do defeat the purpose by spending more money on a cooling setup when u can go out and buy a faster processer..

But.. if you think like this.. then you are not an Overclocker..

Overclocking is about beating the crap out of a cpu to get it to run faster then it is supposed to..

and Yes.. maybe I did spend 160 bucks on a pelt and PSU and I could have gotten something faster then my 2500xp..

But look at it this way.. I get to beat the crap out of this CPU.. and then when I decide to upgrade..

I still have cooling that will work for my next processer.. so I dont have to respend money on new cooling.. just pop in my new chip and beat the hell out of that..

and the only time a pelt will go bad and reverse.. well it doesnt actually reverse.. it just doesnt get cold anymore..

is when u dont take care of it.. or dont provide efficent cooling..

actually u can go to the store pick up a pelt plug it in with no heatsink.. and 1 side will get cold for about 30 seconds.. then it will heat up.. and both sides will be hot.. and if u leave it like that.. it will not have the ability to go cold anymore..

Ive been working with pelts for quite sometime now.. i would say about 2 years I got my first pelt a little bit before I joined these forums..

ran one on my p3 933..

yeah.. u do defeat the purpose by spending more money on a cooling setup when u can go out and buy a faster processer..

But.. if you think like this.. then you are not an Overclocker..

Overclocking is about beating the crap out of a cpu to get it to run faster then it is supposed to..

and Yes.. maybe I did spend 160 bucks on a pelt and PSU and I could have gotten something faster then my 2500xp..

But look at it this way.. I get to beat the crap out of this CPU.. and then when I decide to upgrade..

I still have cooling that will work for my next processer.. so I dont have to respend money on new cooling.. just pop in my new chip and beat the hell out of that..

and the only time a pelt will go bad and reverse.. well it doesnt actually reverse.. it just doesnt get cold anymore..

is when u dont take care of it.. or dont provide efficent cooling..

actually u can go to the store pick up a pelt plug it in with no heatsink.. and 1 side will get cold for about 30 seconds.. then it will heat up.. and both sides will be hot.. and if u leave it like that.. it will not have the ability to go cold anymore..

Ive been working with pelts for quite sometime now.. i would say about 2 years I got my first pelt a little bit before I joined these forums..

ran one on my p3 933..

Well I guess I am a maniac overcloker as someone said because I bought one of fastest CPUs 3.2 EE and running a pelt also, my next project is the Prometia Mach 2, I have everything to add the same 226watt pelt sytem with a meanwell and all cooling blocks etc. on my 3.2C I am going to be working it today cross fingers as long as these cheap old EMS motherbaords dont crap out on my other folding machines. But just to give you an idea of what kind of cooling I am using along with the system in my signuture I will include a picture, this is a heater core with 8 thermal take 4800 rpm fans running full speed along with the Koolance radiator and 3-80mm fans just to cool the video card and Norhtbridge only and my temps at full load running 2 versions of Folding at Home clients on normal priority 24/7 at 3800mhz it runs around 30c to 32c with the system in photo, it will idle at -2c to -4c

I am the system in the picture to cool only the CPU and a ehium 1250 pump Maze4CPU block and 226watt pelt with cold plate and all 1/2 I.D. fittings and tubing. No matter which way you do decide to go be sure that you sael the motherboard with the dow conformaal coating and neaprene and the dilectic grease etc. to help prevent condensation and check this link out this is what I went by set mine up http://www.themodfathers.com/modfatha/articles/pelts.php

Edited by road-runner

psywar, where did u find that 80mm to 120mm fan adapter?? if i can get one of those... i will just a big . 120mm fan!

also, i heard something about a relay switch.. . does anybody know what this is? is it good? im still thinking on this 2nd PSU thing, and somehow finding a way to mount it in 2-5.25 slots. i have one of thsoe big antec cases, and only one cdrom drive, so space isnt an issue (yet). thanks for alll the good replys.

but another question... will i really get a better o/c?? or have i already maxed out the tbred-B architecture?