Motherboard Reporting Temps

Silky

Correct me if i'm wrong but i belive he is speaking of the in-accuracy of motherboard temperature sensors and how a crappy walmart sensor out performs most of them.

Oh... well, we've never used Wal*Mart sensors around here...

But we have talked about on more than one time about the montherboard probes, and why they generally aren't accurate....

Edited by d3bruts1d

I tried to decipher it.. but being that very little was put into the origional message, I figured it was just another useless rant.

This can be found searching the forums, I know I've posted it more than once, but here we go again... The main reason motherboard temps are off, is because there is no internal thermal diode in AMD CPU's such as found in Intel processors, motherboard manufacturers had to resort to external devices (thermal probes) to measure the temperature. The probe is usually located inside the socket, right underneath the CPU, and it measures the air temperature inside the socket. In an effort to report temperatures as close as possible to actual CPU die temperature, manufacturers use mathematic formulas to extrapolate the die temperature from the measured socket's air temperature.

The problem is that different manufacturers use different types/brands of probes, locate their probes in different areas of the socket, and use different formulas to calculate the temps. This results in significant variations from one motherboard to another, even with the same CPU. It is well documented for example, that Abit motherboards are on the optimistic side (reporting colder temps than actual), while Asus Motherboards are usually pessimistic (hotter than actual). Another significant disadvantage to this method is that the temperature inside the socket is highly dependant upon the amount and direction of air flow outside of the socket area.

This is the reason why our reviews use a CompU Nurse or other probe for CPU temps.

Edited by d3bruts1d

<<The main reason motherboard temps are off, is because there is no internal thermal diode in AMD CPU's such as found in Intel processors, motherboard manufacturers had to resort to external devices (thermal probes) to measure the temperature. The probe is usually located inside the socket, right underneath the CPU, and it measures the air temperature inside the socket. In an effort to report temperatures as close as possible to actual CPU die temperature, manufacturers use mathematic formulas to extrapolate the die temperature from the measured socket's air temperature.

The problem is that different manufacturers use different types/brands of probes, locate their probes in different areas of the socket, and use different formulas to calculate the temps. This results in significant variations from one motherboard to another, even with the same CPU. It is well documented for example, that Abit motherboards are on the optimistic side (reporting colder temps than actual), while Asus Motherboards are usually pessimistic (hotter than actual). Another significant disadvantage to this method is that the temperature inside the socket is highly dependant upon the amount and direction of air flow outside of the socket area. >>

You explained and seem to know why they are inaccurate. You even come up with recommendation and all the reasons behind inaccurate temp reporting. I don't know if you are an electrical / computer engineer by trade or what not, the question remains. They CAN produce a board that reports accurately both CPU and board temps, they don't? Whenever the causes of problem could be identified, there will be resolutions to correct the problem. This is called improvement.

It you think I have only one board and one single bad experience, you are dead wrong. Right now, I have 4 systems running in my study room.

Insofar, boards that came out in 2003, Asus P4P800, P4C800, NF-7, IC7 series boards are all full of sh_t in temp reporting. Website reviewers are full of sh_t in providing reviews with temps all over the boards. The same processor in the differnt reviews using the same model and make board could have temp over 10C +- in temp delta (delta in higher than ambient temp)

Instead of saying in your first sentence "The main reason motherboard temps are off", it should have said " The main excuse ......".

When I mentioned WalMart, you kind of laugh at it ..... same reason I enjoy the English language .... it means a general store where nothing is special yet everything could be found there....including a temp sensor that works.

I understand each processor has its unique thermal characteristic, and each system is unique. I am not talking about a single event. I have built at least one system a month in the last 2 years.

Not to change the subject ... if a mother board report +- 10% of a CPU speed ... I am sure there are many reasons behind it ..... would you support the reasons for the inaccuracy?

Edited by Silky

Nice to see that Asus is normally pessimistic. I would MUCH rather it report higher temps, because obviously if I'm content with the temps its reporting, then i would be happy with lower ones :)

Silky, as for critics reviewing mobos and reporting temps...well, i dunno about you, but I would never judge a mobo by temps. Except for how hot the northbridge gets, the rest of the mobo doesn't really effect the heat the cpu will produce. That's why you get a HSF. I haven't read many reviews in awhile, but i know a lot of reviews for mobos usually state something like "the northbridge gets a little too hot at load, so i suggest getting some cooling for it" or something along those lines. I never heard anyone reviewing a mobo say that the cpu got awfully hot and blamed it on poor mobo design.

I'm not a hardcore OCer, so i don't really care how accurate the probes are, but anyone who's hardcore should obviously get an external temp reader anyways, so they're just looking for the board with the most features and best OCing capabilities.