I think the day I never wanted to come has arrived

I'm pretty sure that my CPU has finally kicked it (which is understandable considering how hard I've driven it since birth).

See I was like "I'm bored let, me boot up my machine and play some ME2". Though when I went to start it it just revved up, revved down, revved up, revved down.

I took out the CPU just now and ran it and it doesnt do the boot loops but it doesnt POST either. Does the motherboard have to have something in there to POST video?? (aka can it POST but say, "NO CPU" or something)

I plugged the CPU back in and the boot loops happen again (and yes I've removed the battery and held the CMOS Reset jumpers.

I have a friend with a socket 775 so I think I'll borrow his e6600 to test and make sure my motherboard is ok.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So....

borrow a friends E6600 and install it in a possibly fried motherboard and risk damaging the processor or install a possibly fried Q9450 in a good motherboard and risk damaging the motherboard.

Like the thinking there!

Who needs enemies with friends like you?

:lol:;)

Kinda weird how a cpu can just quit working out of nowhere. And I would test your cpu in your friends rig to be sure.

Could be the motherboard too, I just hope his motherboard will support my processor (it's a 975X chipset), I'll go check now. Mine will definitely support his CPU though

So....

borrow a friends E6600 and install it in a possibly fried motherboard and risk damaging the processor or install a possibly fried Q9450 in a good motherboard and risk damaging the motherboard.

Like the thinking there!

Who needs enemies with friends like you?

:lol:;)

You can do that?? How else can I check them??

Could be the motherboard too, I just hope his motherboard will support my processor (it's a 975X chipset), I'll go check now. Mine will definitely support his CPU though

My DFI Infinity 975X/G supports Core 2 Quads, you should be OK?

Only joking! But there's always a small risk involved.

My DFI Infinity 975X/G supports Core 2 Quads, you should be OK?

Yeah I just checked the site, there's been a horde of bios updates since I owned that board (I used to have to the same setup) and it supported the Q9450 many bioses ago

Only joking! But there's always a small risk involved.

Well tell me what I should do to minimize said risk :O, should I try my CPU in his motherboard first or try his in mine??

You can look at it this way too - which of your friend's would you rather replace? I'd say his processor is a little more expendable and easier to replace than a whole motherboard.

Have you tried removing the memory modules just for grins?

first thing I did, followed by videocard

I'd try your CPU in his board first to rule that out. If it boots up then you'll know the problem lies in your motherboard.

Yeah I'll do that

You can look at it this way too - which of your friend's would you rather replace? I'd say his processor is a little more expendable and easier to replace than a whole motherboard.

his motherboard I would rather replace