The little Propus that could

IVIYTH0S

Ok so a few of you may remember me buying the "Operation Cousin" machine ( http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=177160 )

Now it's time to overclock this puppy hard, now comin from an Intel background this will be my first AMD overclockin experience. Obviously I'll have a somewhat similar experience since I'll be overclocking from the FSB (or the AMD name bclock) which will overclock my memory too, so I think I won't be totally shooting in the dark. I just know there's more to it such as HT Links, CPU-NB voltages, and other clocks that are mixed in with the processor that I'd have to keep my eye on.

Another question was, I know that AMD's can be overclocked via windows with AMD Overdrive. Would any of you recommend doing this?? Once I find the chip's max, I'll dial it permanently into the bios settings. (this way I can overclock it live and wont have to keep jumping back and forth between the bios and windows) I mean I don't mind going into the bios for every tweak but I welcome the idea of just doing it right within windows.

Some system specs of relevance:

CPU: Athlon II x4 620

Motherboard: Biostar TA790GXB3 (790GX)

RAM: Geil 2x2GB 1333mhz DDR3

Cooler: Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer 120mm

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah man Overdrive is a joke, can't do anything w/ that thing, lol. What rev. is the chip? & what voltage does that thing run stock, I think it's like 1.35..or 1.39, ahh idk. But yeah, honestly that thing can probably do a good 250+ on the Base clock, I'm thinking like a good 3.6ish, who knows, but try giving the thing voltage on the core only up until 1.55V (that's max recommended by AMD), and raising the base up until you hit a wall, then try doing the HT voltage, Northbridge, etc. etc. until you can get just the CPU speed up. Then after play w/ the RAM multipliers till what works.

Hell yea, OC that thing man, those chips can take a beating, haha. :haha:

Edited by MJCRO

Thanks for the tips, bios it is!!

Though I may try and OC it with it's stock voltage (which I think is 1.39v) and see where I get, then I'll raise it up to the max suggested and then go along like you said.

Now do I have to tweak the HT link clock ever, this board lets it go manually 2000mhz max but there's also an auto. Should I demand it stays at 1800mhz/2000mhz or let it auto??

The chip's code is : ADX620WFGIBOX, so I'll try googlin that to find the revision on it (though as far as I know there's only one revision for these)

Looks to be C2, don't think C3's were made of these

head over to

http://www.rebelshavenforum.com/sis-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=45

there will be all kinds of info on that board and probably a modded BIOS to help you...clocking Intel and AMD is virtually the same the things have different names...only other thing is TRFC...default is 75ns which is usually to tight...105 and 107 are better but 112 is too loose...

lets see how far you can go....

head over to

http://www.rebelshavenforum.com/sis-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=45

there will be all kinds of info on that board and probably a modded BIOS to help you...clocking Intel and AMD is virtually the same the things have different names...only other thing is TRFC...default is 75ns which is usually to tight...105 and 107 are better but 112 is too loose...

lets see how far you can go....

Interesting, and not knowing what TRFC was I found this: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?35435-The-importance-of-tRFC-and-4-8GB-of-memory

is that what you mean how it was too low??

Now I got some readin ahead :wacko: , I've never heard of custom bios'n for motherboards. This intrigues me

Interesting, and not knowing what TRFC was I found this: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?35435-The-importance-of-tRFC-and-4-8GB-of-memory

is that what you mean how it was too low??

Now I got some readin ahead :wacko: , I've never heard of custom bios'n for motherboards. This intrigues me

Yes...but on Intel board you have 1 TRFC setting....on AMD you have 1 for EACH ram slot...

some boards default the 1 slot at 75ns and the next slot at 102.5ns and the sticks were dual channel...this was a BIG issue on AM2 with Brisbanes...

you set the slot at 105 and clock away...

the easiest way to explain this is to call that setting the ram slot frequency...tight and you gain ram performance....loose and it drops off quick...115ns would make the ram seem like it has 9-9-9-50 timings when its 5-5-5-15 ram...without changing anything else....

on anything newer than AM2...even when it passes memtest fine and it wont pass prime or orthos or anything else it can still be ram related...its gettingt he memory controller to play nice

Niceee man, post up a CPUZ shot of the thing, those things are good for undervolting too after a good OC!

You bet!! And do you mean undervolting at stock clocks??

Yes...but on Intel board you have 1 TRFC setting....on AMD you have 1 for EACH ram slot...

some boards default the 1 slot at 75ns and the next slot at 102.5ns and the sticks were dual channel...this was a BIG issue on AM2 with Brisbanes...

you set the slot at 105 and clock away...

the easiest way to explain this is to call that setting the ram slot frequency...tight and you gain ram performance....loose and it drops off quick...115ns would make the ram seem like it has 9-9-9-50 timings when its 5-5-5-15 ram...without changing anything else....

on anything newer than AM2...even when it passes memtest fine and it wont pass prime or orthos or anything else it can still be ram related...its gettingt he memory controller to play nice

Oh thanks for the tip, you're saying put it somewhat loose like 105 and then find the chips max, then tighten that up later??

no not at all,,I say start at 105 and go looser if need be...you wont be able to tighten it later once you clock...the memory controller wont allow it....

what you are doing is relieving stress off the memory controller so other timing will play nice...

no not at all,,I say start at 105 and go looser if need be...you wont be able to tighten it later once you clock...the memory controller wont allow it....

what you are doing is relieving stress off the memory controller so other timing will play nice...

Ok thanks, would you recommend me doing this with my machine too, as maybe that's what's holding me back??

So far the best I have gotten with no touches to voltage is 2.99ghz, I'll let Prime run overnight and continue in the morning since I tried bumping up the bclock to 240 and it failed, then dropped it to 235 and it still failed (no matter what voltages I tapped, or HT I touched). So I'll just see if what I have is stable then find a new course of action.

299ghzstockvolts.png

This chip/board is frustrating!!

I seem to have hit a wall at 3.016ghz (232bclock)

Even if I lower the NB/HT Freqs, raise voltage one click for everything (even tried two clicks), manually loosened each timing on the memory by one, manually lowered the memory/bclock divider and STILL this thing wont run at 235mhz (and is unstable in prime95 at 233 and 234mhz but seems to not have had any issues at 232 so I'm crossing my fingers).

I don't know what to do now, I really don't want to accept this miserable overclock as the final. I even put the chips core voltage to 1.55v which made the load temp go from 31C to 40C (which means I have plenty to go as far as temp headroom), do you guys think I have a bum chip or board or do you have any advice as to what to do next?? :unsure: