VSync and overclocking

I was just wondering and maybe someone had a simple answer. I was overclocking my GPU and had it stable, but then started wondering why overclock if I have VSync ON. I mean I'm not going to get more then 60 fps so is it pointless to overclock your gpu if you leave VSync ON?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just wondering and maybe someone had a simple answer. I was overclocking my GPU and had it stable, but then started wondering why overclock if I have VSync ON. I mean I'm not going to get more then 60 fps so is it pointless to overclock your gpu if you leave VSync ON?

There is still a point. While it wont improve your maximum frame rates it will improve your average and minimum, assuming they are currently lower than 60.

Well, Vsync limits the frame-rate to that which you could visibly see (or maybe more specifically, how fast your monitor can output.)

There's no point in having over 60FPS, but if you are trying to benchmark you may want to turn it off for more impressive frame-rates.

I can't really see any difference between 60 fps and 100+ fps. But games have heavy graphics areas that might drop your fps lower than 60 which is where overclocking will help.

I can't really see any difference between 60 fps and 100+ fps. But games have heavy graphics areas that might drop your fps lower than 60 which is where overclocking will help.

If your monitor refresh rate is lets say 60, it will not run faster than 60 no mater what any frame rate says.

If your monitor refresh rate is lets say 60, it will not run faster than 60 no mater what any frame rate says.

Yes, but you still might notice the difference between say 60fps and 150fps. At least from my experience my cursor becomes laggy with 60 fps and I need to crank up the fps... Some guy also told me about the Nyquist theorem affecting the experience and thus needing 120fps with a 60Hz monitor, but I'm not so sure about that one :biggrin:

Some guy also told me about the Nyquist theorem affecting the experience and thus needing 120fps with a 60Hz monitor, but I'm not so sure about that one :biggrin:

I just looked it up, and was boggled...

At how I could read the same line over and over again, and still not pick it up...

As for overclocking with Vsync, it's still a good idea to do so. It'll reduce stuttering, which I personally HATE

Anyone who applies the Nyquist theorem to gaming is a nerd. A true-blue, down-to-the-core nerd. Basically what the theorem says is that for any given signal (for example, an analog radio transmission) in order to have a complete knowledge of the content of that signal, you must sample it at twice the highest frequency of the signal. A signal coming in at 60Hz must be sampled at at-least 120Hz in order for it to be known 100%. Otherwise, you can not fully reconstruct the analog signal using digital information with a 100% accuracy. How in the heck that applies to gaming I cant even begin to say, but thats the basic idea. The image output of the graphics card is not a sampling of the image on the screen, so I think the guy you were talking to just wanted to throw around some big words :D

Anyone who applies the Nyquist theorem to gaming is a nerd. A true-blue, down-to-the-core nerd. Basically what the theorem says is that for any given signal (for example, an analog radio transmission) in order to have a complete knowledge of the content of that signal, you must sample it at twice the highest frequency of the signal. A signal coming in at 60Hz must be sampled at at-least 120Hz in order for it to be known 100%. Otherwise, you can not fully reconstruct the analog signal using digital information with a 100% accuracy. How in the heck that applies to gaming I cant even begin to say, but thats the basic idea. The image output of the graphics card is not a sampling of the image on the screen, so I think the guy you were talking to just wanted to throw around some big words :D

Why can't Wikipedia just phrase stuff like that? I mean it still took a moment to really understand it but at least I COULD :wacko:

Because the people who made the Wikipedia article on the Nyquist theorem are people who sit at their computers making a Wikipedia article on the Nyquist theorem. If you know what I mean :P