Identify Case

i will post pics, wether i mod this or buy new. Also the cheap cases i have seen generally come without fans, or come with useless ones, so i would still have to buy them.

For fans how does this sound:

Antec 761345-75024-0 120mm Blue LED Case Fan for front

and

2 VANTEC TD8038H 80mm Case Fan for the back (these are monsters 84 CFM)

For painting it black what paint would you use.

Thanks for the advice

Edited by SpeedCrazy

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i will post pics, wether i mod this or buy new. Also the cheap cases i have seen generally come without fans, or come with useless ones, so i would still have to buy them.

For fans how does this sound:

Antec 761345-75024-0 120mm Blue LED Case Fan for front

and

2 VANTEC TD8038H 80mm Case Fan for the back (these are monsters 84 CFM)

For painting it black what paint would you use.

Thanks for the advice

Fans are always a tricky venture as many manufacturers use different measuring standards for airflow/noise (aka some just flat out lie). I don't know much about either Antec or Vantec fans, so I can't tell you whether or not they're great fans. Currently I'm liking Xigmatek, Thermalright, Enermax, Noiseblocker and Noctua fans, but those last two are pricey so they may not be for you. You may want to check this review of fans, and also this one. Hope some of those will help you in your quest for decent fans.

I used some Krylon indoor/outdoor spray paint for my painting needs, but I did not do my painting entirely right so I'd take a look at this for painting advice:

Always, always, always use primer. Your paint will not stick to the surface if you don't. Go to an auto store, get some sandpaper (220 and 400 should do the trick) and start sanding off the paint that's on there now. If you don't, and you try to prime over it, chances are the primer will fleck off just like your color coat is doing now. While you at the auto store, get some good self-etching primer and color coat as well. One can of each could be okay unless you're painting both the inside and outside. If you are, you'll probably need two of each.

After sanding off the paint that's on there now, throw 2-4 light coats of primer on there, sanding with 400 grit between each one. This will build up a strong foundation for the color coat to sit on. Once you've got your primer built up, lightly "dust", as i'll call it, a few coats of color. You don't want to cover the entire surface with the first few coats. After you do that, you can make sweeps across the surface from whatever distance the can tells you to. Wait a couple of hours between these coats. For the "mistings", you should be fine for 15-20 minutes. Just check out the directions. You won't be sanding these coats. If you try, it'll gum up and you'll have wasted your time. After you get that far, if you're satisfied with the finish, you're done. If you're not, you can WET sand the final coat with 1500 or 2000 grit, and apply some clear coat, and after the final coat you can wetsand that with 2000 grit followed by a waxing after the coat has cured.

Here is a rough mock up of your case. Exterior is black and a couple of recommended fan locations. If you're gonna tear it apart you might as well paint all the interior black too.

Top fan is 140mm Xigmatek as exhaust

Side panel fan is 140mm Xigmatek as intake

screenhunter07252010cop.jpg

By wevsspot at 2010-07-27

Edited by wevsspot