Xfx Radeon 4870 Overclock.

I don't think it goes up too much on load. Probably around 80.

What I think I'll do is flash the bios with some higher mhz + I'll modify the fan scheme in a way that I get higher rpm for lower temps. So for example, instead of 70'C = 52% I'll do something like 70'C 60% or maybe 65%...

there is no way your GPU idles @ 75 and loads @ 80....

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

extra volts = more heat which will just compound your actual problem.

not if I increase the fat to a point where it will compensate for both the extra volts and the current high temp. Basically I'll have to run like 80-90% 24/7...which isn't all that good. Noisy as hell too.

not if I increase the fat to a point where it will compensate for both the extra volts and the current high temp. Basically I'll have to run like 80-90% 24/7...which isn't all that good. Noisy as hell too.

way to ignore the actual problem with a temporary fix :thumbsup:

you'd make a great mechanic

way to ignore the actual problem with a temporary fix :thumbsup:

you'd make a great mechanic

i know rite. though it's not temporary. It can be permanent until the card dies which will be pretty soon I think.

I stressed the gpu, and you're right. It's not 80 at load, it's 86'C with the fan speed at 74%.

jesus

mine is 55c at idle, and i have a 4890 from HIS

it's been a while since I've looked at the different models but didn't HIS have a different cooler. I think it was slightly different... I dunno...mine just seems to run hotter.

I was thinkin about getting some new headphones and a sound card, all coming to 400$ but maybe instead of one of them, or both I'll get a new gpu...I dunno, haven't decided yet. I don't really need a new GPU for my gaming or anything... I just wanna have something new to tinker and experiment with...you guys know how it feels rite?

Anyway, I'm gonna flash the bios in a few minutes, just wanna wait out till the end of my music track.

Well, I couldn't flash the bios because I can't load atiflash. I've been trying all day. I don't know why but it just won't start. I formated a floppy with MS-DOS, added atiflash and the bios, then when I restart, it will either just freeze when posting and it's time to load the atiflash, or say that there is an error, in any case - it won't start. I don't know how to flash my bios... I'm out of ideas.

I could try with the newest atiflash version but the floppy doesn't have enough space because of the ms-dos files. I also have an usb flash driver but I couldn't get it to be bootable at startup either. Maybe someone knows how?

Thx.

Ok I tried flashing the bios, I did but something backfired. My screen isn't turning on at all. I'm not sure if my PC is posting at all.

What I had to do was disconnect the hard disks so that the USB gets recognized, I flashed with atiflash as I would normaly, then turned off the PC, reconnected the 2 hard disks and then I that's it. I'm getting nothing on the screen. It's like it's turned off.

I don't know what to do. I've got a back up bios on the USB but I don't know how to flash it...

I've heard something about connecting another gpu and using that to see...or blind flashing...but I don't know if the PC works at all. I'm getting a 26 code on my debug on the mobo. That says that the gpu isn't working or the slot is empty.

Is there a way to clear gpu cmos or something? If the debug is stuck at 26, then it isn't posting and isn't entering into windows...I don't think I can do even a blind flash.

I'm really freaking out.

EDIT: If I plug my old gpu in the PC, it works fine so at least I know that my stuff is OK...except the 4870.

I need to know the way to do the bios flash with 2 gpus. I think it was possible... Like plug both, then plug the monitor to the working one, and flash the bios into the second one...I'm not sure how to choose it as the one into which to flash though...I'm using atiflash.

Update N.2

Well...I got my head together and managed to fix my gpu. In little time too....

What I did was, put my old gpu in slot n.1 aka master gpu

put 4870 in slot n.2 aka slave

atiflash -1 > gave me the number of the 2 gpus - 0 and 1

atiflashed my back up bios into the 4870

took out the old gpu

put the 4870 in it's place

???

Profit

I got the thing from a guide on techpowerup but I still feel kinda mighty for saving my PC from doom. I don't know if I'll try gpu bios flashing again. I might, I might not, and the reason is that I don't exactly know what caused this and I know that I used to be able to flash the bios with no problem at all before....so I dunno what happened. I will probably need a better way though...

Lol I bet my PC hates me now...I was rushing so I did so many things wrong.

1. I didn't ground myself at all and I was touching the gpus the mobo...everything.

2. I didn't turn off the PSU power off when switchingthe stuff.

3. I was forcing the cards in the slots a bit and they were getting bent a bit

4. When I was replacing my 4870 for the final time, my PC booted some how without me being anywhere near any of the buttons that would turn it on. Maybe there was a serge of electricity or something...

I think I should consier myself very luck that I didn't fry or break anything.

If there were PC horror movies...this would be it.

I think I should consier myself very luck that I didn't fry or break anything.

If there were PC horror movies...this would be it.

Been there done that, sweat.gif fixed it.

I have a pair of Sapphire 4870 that idle at 70 and load at 80 under the CCC Auto fan profile. I was not happy with the heat they were pumping out so I was impressed with MSI Afterburner tool(based on Riva Tuner) that supports Software Fan profiles.

I have them both idling at 50C and, with my custom fan profile, load stays under 70C now.

I tried with the fixed fan speed at 30% but although it dropped the idle temp to acceptable levels it did occasionally get too hot and wig out causing screen corruption. Plus 30% was noisier than the rest of my case so it annoyed me.

MSI Afterburner is free and supports non MSI cards, ATI and Nvidia and also has a nice display graph, that comes in handy.

I have the XFX HD4870 but not the reference one (ZWFC), i got the one with the crappy heatsink it idles @ around 57 and loads @ 82, my room temp is WAY TOO HIGH, keep that in mind.