Bikes

Psywar

Did those 2 cycle bikes have you mix the oil and gas or did they have a separate reservoir and mix it for you??

Some did, my dad had 1975 Kawasaki 500 Three cylinder and he said that bike was insane. He mixed the gas himself so he says. I haven't talked to him about that bike in a long time but I can ask and make sure. I would do it myself rather than trust my bike to mix it properly.

Did those 2 cycle bikes have you mix the oil and gas or did they have a separate reservoir and mix it for you??

The Kawasaki and Suzuki models had a reservoir you filled and it mixed it for you. I'm looking at getting a 1972 Suzuki GT550. Not as much fun nor as high strung as the Kawi triples but you can ride it leisurely and not have to worry about seizing the engine up.

I kinda want this Ninja 250 here but my dad says I'll get tired of the 250 real quick.

I showed him this 500 here and he said it was too old. But a 500 would be just the right size that I wouldn't get tired of but still enjoy and learn from

The 250 of your dad's years were much different bikes than today. A modern Ninja 250 has a 0-60 that's better than likely any car you've ever owned, and they're much more forgiving while you're learning. And best yet, it gets superior gas mileage and handle amazingly well in twisty roads. Besides that, get a handful of brake on a Ninja 250 because someone pulls out in front of you, you'll skid the front tire a bit. On a ZX-6R, Gixxer, R6, or any other bike like that, you'll be flying through the air. Modern sport bikes like those are made to be ridden hard and fast, they won't forgive beginner mistakes. Also, they're expensive to repair. I was looking at well over $1k to get my CBR600 F4 back in new condition after the last owner had it down on both sides at low speed.

The Vulcan 900 would make a great cruiser though. One of the ladies that I work with has a 900 and a 1600, and she prefers the 900. I'm looking at getting one for my step-dad even when I get back from overseas.

The 250 of your dad's years were much different bikes than today. A modern Ninja 250 has a 0-60 that's better than likely any car you've ever owned, and they're much more forgiving while you're learning. And best yet, it gets superior gas mileage and handle amazingly well in twisty roads. Besides that, get a handful of brake on a Ninja 250 because someone pulls out in front of you, you'll skid the front tire a bit. On a ZX-6R, Gixxer, R6, or any other bike like that, you'll be flying through the air. Modern sport bikes like those are made to be ridden hard and fast, they won't forgive beginner mistakes. Also, they're expensive to repair. I was looking at well over $1k to get my CBR600 F4 back in new condition after the last owner had it down on both sides at low speed.

The Vulcan 900 would make a great cruiser though. One of the ladies that I work with has a 900 and a 1600, and she prefers the 900. I'm looking at getting one for my step-dad even when I get back from overseas.

Good points, there was a Suzuki Katana 600 For $1500 I saw on my C-list recently. But now he's not home to come look at them with me :down:

A Katana would make a good first bike provided you take the MSF Basic Rider Course so you understand the basics of controlling it, such as counter-steering and all that. Heck, I wouldn't recommend getting on a bike without taking that course, the stuff I learned in that has saved me plenty of times.

A Katana would make a good first bike provided you take the MSF Basic Rider Course so you understand the basics of controlling it, such as counter-steering and all that. Heck, I wouldn't recommend getting on a bike without taking that course, the stuff I learned in that has saved me plenty of times.

Yeah I'll sign up for one, maybe my added experience there will add to my dad's motivation to let me get one already :woot:

As of last year(?) the MSF course is now *MANDATORY* to get your motorcycle endorsement in FL :).

No matter how long you have been riding for or how new you are to bikes, I suggest taking it even if it is not necessary in your state. It was not mandatory for me and I had been riding for a very long time and I still took the course.

It's mandatory for all riders under 18 here in IA, and also waives the DOT riding test. Best thing that's ever been done IMO. I'd also suggest picking up the MSF's book Motorcycling Excellence, it's chock full of information.

went for a nice putt this morning with the sheila on the new scooter....still in wear-in miles so i can't romp on it yet (much) but with her on the back i don't like to take chances...there were kajillions of riders out today and every shape and size of machine...there was a biker parade of sorts out to our local national cemetary for a memorial ceremony and eats...i love my scoot and all my friends that ride...!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought a 2001 Ninja 250 for $1500 :D. Pics up tomorrow (it's too dark now)

Those are snappy bikes, I road my friends ounce. The Ninja 250 is actually the first actual road bike I ever got one. I hadn't ridding a dirt bike in over 2 years but as soon as a swung my leg over I knew I had to get myself a bike for the road.

Oh, those bikes top out at just over 100mph, they do feel nice and stable at that speed but I do not suggest you just hop on and go for top end like I did. That was the first and last time he let me on it :erm: but I guess that was smart of him. I talked to him the other day, he has owned it for two years and never gone above 80mph so I guess I win... well it wasn't a contest but I definitely won.

Anyways, don't go fast like me. Stay in your neighbor hood and just tool along for a few hours. If you have never ridden a bike check how it feels under hard breaking. Ninja's like most bikes feel very weird at slow speeds, don't let this scare you about going faster. In general when going faster than say 40mph rather then turning the handle bars try leaning more. If you turn the front sharply at higher speeds without leaning expect the bike do the opposite of what you tell it. When you are turning it will feel like you are pulling the wrong way on the handle bars at higher speeds. You will stop noticing it entirely after only a little while.

Sometimes it is best to go against your instincts and go with what you have learned about how your particular bike handles.

Most importantly, where a helmet for your own sake. Other protective gear is nice and makes you look cool but you will be dead before the ambulance arrives if you go down hard without a brain bucket.

Oh, and don't you dare try to be cool and hurt yourself! DON"T RIDE LIKE ME!