$50 vs $60

Fogel

64 members have voted

1. 1. Will you pay $60 for a PC Game?

• No ...always no
    • Yes ...if the game looks interesting enough (reviews/players praise the Quality of the game)
    • Yes ...if the game has both solid Single/Mulitplay
    • Yes ...if it offers enough content, single or multi, just want content
    • Maybe ...I won't say no, but can't say yes right now either

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I don't want to change the topic or anything, I'm just curious how everyone here feels about "the price". Name your price. I'm curious to see what everyone's Cutoff point is, what do you consider too much for any game?

Mine is $70. (not a typo, it is 70)

I don't typically complain about the price of games because if they raise the price there's nothing you can do about it I mean just look at the MW2 map packs which is mostly old maps reused but people still pay 15$ for it.

I see no problem in paying 60$ for a game as long as there is a good solid single player story mode to it to get me a good 6-8 hours of playtime. However, I do want to get some sort of online multiplayer out of just about every game that I purchase...be it COD:MW or L4D2 or even something else. Unless there is another reason that I am getting the game, I dont think I would buy a strictly single player game that does not offer me more than the story mode gameplay..

With the relation to drinking, yes you can easily spend over 100$ at the bar in a single night...so it boils down to if you can afford it, why not spend your money on something that you enjoy?

I don't typically complain about the price of games because if they raise the price there's nothing you can do about it I mean just look at the MW2 map packs which is mostly old maps reused but people still pay 15$ for it.

Would you say you have that same philosophy about dedicated servers? MW2 got rid of the dedicated servers system and uses matchmaking, allowing hackers to run about freely. Would you just buy the game anyway and put up with that? Just because they want to do something their way doesn't mean any of us have to put up with it. The thing you can do about it though is not buy their games, believe me, even casual 360 gamers and hardcore call of duty fans are going to stop buying the games if they start charging $100 for the game and then release 5 DLC on launch day that is $20 each.

If lets say, theoretically, every single PC gamer in the world just didn't buy MW2. Well guess what, that would mean no more CoD for PC. Most people still don't understand this, you boycott a game the developer/maker will probably decide to go elsewhere(Like consoles, people don't b itch about matchmaking there or map packs costing something). If you ask me, I would stop making games for PC if I was a game developer/publisher. All people do is whine and complain about everything, can't make anything right. You need to view this from the publishers/developers view once, not just yours.

Anyways, that being said, I still don't support price increases, but if it happens so be it. I don't control prices, and I will not fight for lower ones either.

If lets say, theoretically, every single PC gamer in the world just didn't buy MW2. Well guess what, that would mean no more CoD for PC. Most people still don't understand this, you boycott a game the developer/maker will probably decide to go elsewhere(Like consoles, people don't b itch about matchmaking there or map packs costing something). If you ask me, I would stop making games for PC if I was a game developer/publisher. All people do is whine and complain about everything, can't make anything right. You need to view this from the publishers/developers view once, not just yours.

Anyways, that being said, I still don't support price increases, but if it happens so be it. I don't control prices, and I will not fight for lower ones either.

See the thing is that it wouldn't matter to me if they dropped the PC because if they can't do it right then I won't buy it. You say console gamers don't complain about matchmaking but do they put up with hackers? You can't just ignore that kind of problem.

So what you're saying is that all PC gamers do is whine and complain about all developers out there? PC gamers feel all developers out there can't do anything right? How many complaints have we seen about Valve here? or Tripwire, codemasters, futuremark, bioware, crytek, dice, frozenbyte, 2d boys, gearbox, firaxis, rebellion, 2k, or most any other developers? I personally haven't seen that many complaints about a lot of the mentioned, but at the same time I have not been a part of these forums for nearly as long as others so naturally I might have missed complaints about some of these. However, I would think it only logical that there is something wrong with a game if a bunch of people are complaining about it because otherwise they wouldn't complain.

Name your price. I'm curious to see what everyone's Cutoff point is, what do you consider too much for any game?

It depends. i've paid $110AU for a xbox360 game before (cant remember which one) i dont think i ever would unless its something i gotta have. most of the time i buy games (console & PC) if they are around $80AU. if i know that the re-playability is quite short its probably closer to $70AU. my limit with console games tends to be around $90. but definitely will not pay $90+ for a PC game or $105+ for a console game (Australian $)

At the same time since ive started using steam if theres a really good deal i'll get it. for example i refused to pay $100AU retail for borderlands, one day steam has it for $40USD - instant sale. L4D2 - $100AU retail PC, steam on launch day $50AU - instant sale. Portal - free on steam - instant sale. I got Heavy rain the day after release date, i didnt want it badly enough to pay the full $110 for it so when i saw it for $75 i got it.

Or take drinking for example. It is EASY to spend $100 in a night of drinking.

oh yes i've been there before. part of the reason i gave it up. id go out on a weekend and half the week's pay was gone.

I answered "No" because none of the options really suited my situation. I only buy games that are basically great in every aspect or are sequels of games I really really like. I only buy a game every 2-3 years (I'm picky). The next game I'm going to buy is Diablo 3.

Well I can't say I think of games as just a form of entertainment but that is my main reason for gaming. Movies is an interesting comparison but if you were to compare netflix to gamefly, I think you would probably find you get a lot more out of netflix than gamefly usually.

I don't drink so I can't relate. :P

Would the price of renting games go up if the price of games went up? I mean they do have to make a profit after all. Honestly I can see gamefly raising their monthly fee if they had to start spending more on games. Kind of like how netflix charges more for bluray movies.

And that's why i don't use GameFly - local renting is good enough. ($8 for a week)

Renting HAS went up in price even though game pricing has not. Every year people pick a game they think is too expensive. But in truth we had $60 14yrs ago. In that time everything has went up price. Game prices have for the most part stayed pretty static. You have your cheapo games and your expensive ones, but really that's no different than anything else. Even something as simple as silverware has a wide range of pricing.

Honestly gamers have the least to complain about.

oh yes i've been there before. part of the reason i gave it up. id go out on a weekend and half the week's pay was gone.

Ya and I don't get that. People are willing to drop hundreds of dollars (or even $50 in one night) on a weekend of drinking and then whine games cost too much money. Really? :dunno:

I answered "No" because none of the options really suited my situation. I only buy games that are basically great in every aspect or are sequels of games I really really like. I only buy a game every 2-3 years (I'm picky). The next game I'm going to buy is Diablo 3.

I did put a Maybe option.

Sounds like you aren't quite a "No... always" ...no is pertty absolute but C'est la vie :tongue:

I dont rent games....

although I probably should....its just a hassle for me...

I also have NEVER paid over 25.00 for a game nor do I intend to...I am just tight like that...if its more than that I just dont play it...

my wife on the other hand has paid 50.00 for Wii games...

I don't really mind the price. If we went by time played, well then MW2 has already been worth the $75(With map pack). I have over 460 hours played in that game, so yeah $75 isn't much for that amount of time.

Exactly. I figure gameplay=content, so if I play a game's multiplayer for years then I got a hell of a bargain if I bought it for less than its equivalent movie time. Movie time=$4/hr or something like that, so if I play a game for more than 15 hours I got my $60 worth.

I played RTCW for 7 years. I started in late 2001 and stopped in late 2008. I played probably an average of 2 hours a day (it was more like 4 hours every few days with the occasional 15-20 hour bawls-fest), so that comes out to 5,110 hours. In movie money that's $20,440 lol. I got a bargain for $20 or whatever it was. I later bought the GOTY edition for $30 because I lost the first one when I moved.

If they increased the price *for good games* I would still buy them. Crappy games need to LOWER their price :P

As far as where I draw the line, I don't know. If it's an incredibly amazing game I would probably pay up to $300-$400... maybe more.

And that's why i don't use GameFly - local renting is good enough. ($8 for a week)

Renting HAS went up in price even though game pricing has not. Every year people pick a game they think is too expensive. But in truth we had $60 14yrs ago. In that time everything has went up price. Game prices have for the most part stayed pretty static. You have your cheapo games and your expensive ones, but really that's no different than anything else. Even something as simple as silverware has a wide range of pricing.

Honestly gamers have the least to complain about.

Ya and I don't get that. People are willing to drop hundreds of dollars (or even $50 in one night) on a weekend of drinking and then whine games cost too much money. Really? :dunno:

I did put a Maybe option.

Sounds like you aren't quite a "No... always" ...no is pertty absolute but C'est la vie :tongue:

Well if renting here was the same as it is there then maybe it wouldn't sound so bad but the only options available to me are $10 for 2 nights or gamefly, for me both of these options suck. Renting is a stupid point as it's completely situational.

Comparing games to silverware is just ridiculous, silverware is something you buy maybe 1 or 2 times ever unless you just have your house broken into every weekend by the local silverware thief. Games don't work that way for everyone. Plus there really isn't that wide of a range of silverware, you have the kind made of metal and you have the kind made of plastic, metal being expensive and plastic being inexpensive, and it's pretty clear you get your money's worth from spending a little more for metal. However with games you can buy a $20 game, and following the rule of amount of hours you can get out of it, and you an get more hours out of it than a $60 game, but that rule doesn't really work because not everyone likes TF2, but I'm pretty sure most people in the world aren't picky about their silverware.

I think we have already figured out the problem behind this though, some of us simply play more games than others therefore don't want to have the price raised on all the games out there.