Powercycling only at POST Screen

m0rphr3us

Hey everybody. I just built this computer tonight, first let me list the specs, and then I'll get into the problem:

Gigabyte GA-790XT-USB3 Mobo

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2ghz

2x2GB G Skill Ripjaw DDR3-1666

Corsair TX650W

Sapphire Radeon HD 5830 1gb

Now the problem I'm having is essentially the computer keeps power cycling at the POST screen. If i reset the cmos, I am told about cmos errors and am able to get into the cmos menu through that way and the computer will not power cycle during this time. So if there's any settings you think I would need to change, this is a possibility. This seems to eliminate the possibility of power supply or shorting out in my opinion as it will be stable during this time in the cmos menu. I took the logo screen off as to see the POST screen and I've realized it freezes around different parts:

Sometimes it'll freeze just after it displays "AMD Process model unknown" and sometimes it will freeze after it shows the memory test and the memory, which is displayed at 1333mhz, unganged.

I'm lost here, if anybody has seen this problem or can recommend steps to fix this problem, It would be much appreciated.

To keep in mind also, I've heard some boards do not come with updated BIOS for this CPU and I may need to flash it. Could this be causing the problem?

Thanks to anybody that sat through this!

Well it is possible that it could be the bios. I'd check the gigabyte site and see if it has an update. From what you posted it sounds like it doesn't know what the CPU is. So that would be my first guess. Maybe someone here with more experiance with gigabyte and amd can suggest a better solution. The trouble with needing to do a bios update is that you need to be able to get it to boot. So do you have a different CPU that would work?

EDIT: I just looked on gigabytes site and that CPU is supported with bios version F3. That is basically thier latest bios, they have a beta one listed too.

Edited by RimX

Doesn't Gigabyte support flashing Bios with a USB?

does it? all i know is that i can only get into the cmos screen through a reset... otherwise it locks and power cycles.

edit: okay it supports it but considering it's cycling every time, i dont think i can get into Qflash. and even if i get in, would it stay stable?

Edited by m0rphr3us

Its very easy to update ur bois i did with mine too , just take a pendrive and format it to FAT32 then go to the gigabyte site download the same bois of ur mofo and check if u have downloaded the same bois with ur model no or it wont work,paste the files of the bois to the pendrive and then restart ur pc ,go 2 the bois and u will see at the bottom left an option Q-flash go in that ur bois is updated.

Its very easy to update ur bois i did with mine too , just take a pendrive and format it to FAT32 then go to the gigabyte site download the same bois of ur mofo and check if u have downloaded the same bois with ur model no or it wont work,paste the files of the bois to the pendrive and then restart ur pc ,go 2 the bois and u will see at the bottom left an option Q-flash go in that ur bois is updated.

considering it freezes if i let it even try to detect the processor, it also freezes if it tries to detect any type of hardware it seems. with flash drive connected, computer halts before i can get into the bios setup/qflash.

ordered a cheap am3 so hopefully thatll let me update the bios and solve this problem.

Looking at the gigabyte site it looks like the Phenom II X6 1090T needs the F3 bios rev (or higher) to run that cpu. Probibly came pre-loaded with the F2.

Didnt you say you could get into the bios by resetting it? if so you might be able to flash it from there. (or did you try that already?)

Looking at the gigabyte site it looks like the Phenom II X6 1090T needs the F3 bios rev (or higher) to run that cpu. Probibly came pre-loaded with the F2.

Didnt you say you could get into the bios by resetting it? if so you might be able to flash it from there. (or did you try that already?)

i tried to but every time i boot with a flash drive in, it still halts. if i get into the bios and get to qflash and then put the stick in, it either doesnt detect it or halts again. i'm pretty much positive i just need an older am3, so that will be coming in in about 12 hours. i'll be sure to update here. i think it's good information to have for future reference anyhow.