People angry over Blu-ray discs not working in the UN-updated players

Andrewr05

People angry over Blu-ray discs not working in the UN-updated players.

RTFM

and no I'm not being some elitist tech guy, just read the manual, I'm willing to be that most manuals have a section on firmware.

Not only a section on firmware but a section (or at least an "area") describing that their hardware will NEED to be updated to play some content.

Over the years I've had DVD players that needed firmware updates, you could update them with a firmware disc that they sent out.

Blu-Ray is a failure. They need to finalize the damn format before they start selling it to the public.

The problem people have is when movies come out and they have some new encryption standard which causes it to be incompatible. Its ridiculous.

yea but you gotta understand that 90% of the owners are NOT PC literate and dont even know what firmware is until they are forced to flash it...

In my perspective you should NOT ever have to do that...I have never had to with any DVD I've owned...and I think selling people products that wont auto update is just piss poor marketing...

Make it standard and put the firmware on the disk if need be...

if the owner doesnt have a PC nor internet then they arent getting what they payed for and thats a trouble free entertainment...

yea but you gotta understand that 90% of the owners are NOT PC literate and dont even know what firmware is until they are forced to flash it...

In my perspective you should NOT ever have to do that...I have never had to with any DVD I've owned...and I think selling people products that wont auto update is just piss poor marketing...

if the owner doesnt have a PC nor internet then they arent getting what they payed for and thats a trouble free entertainment...

:withstupid: as much as I love to hate on idiots...this really isn't something that ought to be necessary, I probably could have gotten firmware updates for old dvd players...but never NEEDED to and these should NEED to, unless the distributor wants to include a firmware disc along with the newer movie, otherwise they can put a sock in it

Agreed. Even Microsoft is smart enough to put firmware updates on 360 discs for users with no internet connection.

You all that say no big deal, just wait until they release these new discs they have been talking about that have 150GB capacity. These discs will not work in any current player (PS3 included) because the current laser diodes cannot support them. Then you all will be complaining that you can't watch the new movies.

150gb capacity???

WTF for? I mean you cannot make movies look any clear then they currently are now.. I think the Human eye cannot see over 60hz.. I am sure the current Audio/Mhz - Quality we have now far surpass's what our eyes and ears can even see or hear.

Now there just ripping us off.. and people are buying in to it. Thinking they see/hear a difference when I am pretty sure you dont.

Maybe a still Image you can tell a difference. But definitely not a moving image.

150gb capacity???

WTF for? I mean you cannot make movies look any clear then they currently are now.. I think the Human eye cannot see over 60hz.. I am sure the current Audio/Mhz - Quality we have now far surpass's what our eyes and ears can even see or hear.

Now there just ripping us off.. and people are buying in to it. Thinking they see/hear a difference when I am pretty sure you dont.

Maybe a still Image you can tell a difference. But definitely not a moving image.

not entirely, some blu-ray movies have to be compressed to fit the disc(not all blu-ray movies are equal), and the new Ultra HD TVs(<--resolution of 4 1080p screens) with 3D are going to take up some serious space

Edited by CowKing

Overlook the "not having internet" issue.

If anyone has a Blu-ray player I want you to please look in your manual and see if it says anything about firmware and content possibly not being accessible without an upgrade.

Because if most of them have that in there then it is the consumers fault.

They could have opened their product, read the manual first (as you are supposed to do) and had seen that you require an internet connection for future content.

Overlook the "not having internet" issue.

If anyone has a Blu-ray player I want you to please look in your manual and see if it says anything about firmware and content possibly not being accessible without an upgrade.

Because if most of them have that in there then it is the consumers fault.

They could have opened their product, read the manual first (as you are supposed to do) and had seen that you require an internet connection for future content.

not only is it in the manual, it says "some features might be disabled with outdated firmware" every time before a movie loads