Sapphire 5970 4gb review

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3242/sapp...card/index.html

Saw this out front thought id bring it here to discuss... i gotta question one thing on though... the noise level... im having a hard time trying to swallow them claiming the cooler is louder then the reference card... i really do... esp being the cooler was designed specifically for silence

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has 3 fans that exhaust into the case vs. 1 fan that exhausts out of the case for the reference cooler. I think the silver lining here is that it's still quieter than the 480 and 470 at load. 4GB on a video card... amazing.

it was still deisgned with the attention of being extremely quiet... soo you got me why its so "loud"

If they set the fan speed to the same speed for testing, or left it on auto, I'm sure that the 3 fans would be louder than 1. Plus they would be blowing air toward the mic rather than pulling air away. If you look at the temps though, the temps are a lot lower than the reference cooler. I'm sure you could cut the fan speed down twice as much as you could with the reference cooler, and still get close to the same temps, plus the card would probably be near dead silent.

if you did your research instead of assuming youd know that there an impellar based design fan which have a wide blade spacing... run at a low rpm... and do not have a shourd for a reason.... to put it bluntly there ment to run quietly.. infact there suppose to be .5 sone which is 24.5 DBA ... compared to reference 44.5dba... quanity of fans has nothing to do with it...

You're saying that the new fans are supposed to only output 24.5 dba each, but you're wondering why three of them together in unison are louder than 44.5 dba? The test listed them at 64dba, or (very) roughly the sound output of one of the fans multiplied by the number of fans there is... so whats hard to believe about that?

You're saying that the new fans are supposed to only output 24.5 dba each, but you're wondering why three of them together in unison are louder than 44.5 dba? The test listed them at 64dba, or (very) roughly the sound output of one of the fans multiplied by the number of fans there is... so whats hard to believe about that?

That's not really how sound works with multiple sources...

https://ccrma.stanford.edu/CCRMA/Courses/152/SPL.html

Those look like the Artic Cooling HS for the 4870 X2's. The are heavy as hell and take up 3 spaces on the 4870 X2's. They're not loud at all though. I tried a set of those on my cards a while ago I picked up off of craigslist for like $60 NIB for both in Fort Worth. I went back to stock cooling not because they didn't work because they cooled well in my Antec 1200 but more on the reasons that they were stressing out my pci express slots and the cards because of the weight. I sure hope Sapphire puts 2 more ounces of copper on the pcb. :lol:

Those look like the Artic Cooling HS for the 4870 X2's. The are heavy as hell and take up 3 spaces on the 4870 X2's. They're not loud at all though. I tried a set of those on my cards a while ago I picked up off of craigslist for like $60 NIB for both in Fort Worth. I went back to stock cooling not because they didn't work because they cooled well in my Antec 1200 but more on the reasons that they were stressing out my pci express slots and the cards because of the weight. I sure hope Sapphire puts 2 more ounces of copper on the pcb. :lol:

Just attach a cable to hold the card...