Battle Royale: Corsair H50 vs Noctua NH-D14

R1P5AW

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not to take anything away from your test, but for a better test, you'll need to limit out some variables.

For example:

1. The thermal compound may have been "dried" out over the course of time. Since the Corsair H50 was the existing CPU cooler on your system, it may have exhibited some wear.

2. Perhaps the thermal compound was put on more effectively on the Noctual than the Corsair.

3. Perhaps different thermal compounds work better on the Corsair than the Noctua.

Try testing the Corsair H50 and Corsair NH-D14 again at least with 5 different applications of the same thermal compound.

Try testing the Corsair H50 and Corsair NH-D14 again at least with 5 different applications each for 5 different thermal compounds.

The results of all these tests will give a better picture of which one is hands down better.

Testing is a long and slow, boring process. Trust me, that's what I do for a living, just not as much for hardware. It's just like testing the CPU overclockability, some are just better at overclocking than others.

I still like the single test results, though. Something is better than nothing. :)

Try testing the Corsair H50 and Corsair NH-D14 again at least with 5 different applications of the same thermal compound.

Try testing the Corsair H50 and Corsair NH-D14 again at least with 5 different applications each for 5 different thermal compounds.

I appreciate the advice and your input.

I feel that testing to that degree would take an additional $50 and ~50 hours and frankly I just did the test for fun, and gratis as I purchased both coolers myself. That being said, I don't think that sort of testing is something I can do at the moment but I'm glad you enjoyed the single results :)

I appreciate the advice and your input.

I feel that testing to that degree would take an additional $50 and ~50 hours and frankly I just did the test for fun, and gratis as I purchased both coolers myself. That being said, I don't think that sort of testing is something I can do at the moment but I'm glad you enjoyed the single results :)

Damn, and I was hoping you'd do it. :P

j/k

Nice test indeed, Unfortunately I am afraid that the Noctua's super vortex hurricane vacuum of air might suck in my two cats or even my 2 year old. I'd hate to wake up one morning and find my cat stuck to the front of my case. Didn't realize how big that Noctua was, was good to see the pics with both coolers installed. That might help people decide one way or the other.

yes the noctua is huge, but it really doesn't weigh as much as it looks. People should NOT be concerned with it breaking their motherboards ;)

That and even though it has two fans, it really is whisper quiet. What did you observe regarding noise R1P5AW? (between the h50 and d14)

You must be having some NB issues, or are trying for some Overkill

Without the fan it goes up to 57 C, the fan keeps its between 48 - 49 C. The Gene II Northbridge cooler isnt the best you can get.

Cheap solution :thumbs-up: