New Core I7 980x build Questions

poweruser

Hello,

I am planning to build a new PC (actually have a friend do it for me) It will be used for backtesting technical analysis of stocks and futures using the ninjatrader platform as well as live trading. Besides being very fast it has to also be as quiet (preferably silent) as possible. I will not do any overclocking.

These are the specs I came up with thus far:

Antec P183 ATX Mid Tower Case

Asus P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Motherboard

Intel Core I7 980x (Hexa Core)

Intel X25-M G2 160GB Solid State HDD

Mushkin Blackline 12GB DDR3 1600 (3X4GB) 7-9-8-24

2 X PNY VCQ295NVS 256MB 64Bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 X16

Seasonic X750 Gold 750W ATX 12V

VisionTec PCI Express Killer Xeno Pro Gaming Network Card

Noctua NH-D14 120mm and 140mm CPU Cooler

Noctua NT-H1 Thermal Compound

3 x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm Case Fan

Plextor 24X DVD/CD Writer PX880-SA-26

AFT Pro Express-7 Express Card Reader

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit

Are there any bottlenecks or inefficiencies with these components?

The Intel processor I selected has an integraded memory controller (3 channels of DDR3 1066 Mhz) - Does this mean that I cannot use the memory sticks I selected as I will not be able to run it at 1600Mhz and at the specified latencies?

Thanks a lot

The Intel processor I selected has an integraded memory controller (3 channels of DDR3 1066 Mhz) - Does this mean that I cannot use the memory sticks I selected as I will not be able to run it at 1600Mhz and at the specified latencies?

you can still run that RAM just fine

I'd go with 2x5970's if i were you

Why? He has two Quadro cards in because he's not planning on gaming with this thing. Its basically going to be doing number crunching and trading so the inclusion of anything other than a couple of Quadro cards would just be irrelevant.

I think the whole thing looks good, it'll do its intended tasks really well. I see no problems with it.

Edited by bp9801

Storage drive wouldn't be that needed since it would probably pull things off of a server. Just needs something for the OS and main programs. Least thats how I'd have it.

The Killer Xeno card would help to increase bandwidth over the onboard ports. No CPU strain on that.. though since its the 980X, I have to agree that it seems a little unneeded. But it could prove handy, I just think the 980X would be able to handle the small bit of processes needed for the onboard ports.

if he intent to use his pc for server, intel xeion would be more approriate for that task. i think intel has release intel xeon six-core 5600 or something..

Only time you need a xeon is if your going dual or more cpus, otherwise for single cpu its fine. Also not all xeons are dual or more capable either, and they cost a lot more. Only difference is the extra QPI to be able to communicate with another cpu or multiple cpus..

Edited by road-runner

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Just to recap:

I will not be doing any gaming on this PC.

The reason I picked these video cards is because 1) they are dual and I will have this pc hooked up to 4 monitors, and 2) they are fanless (no additional noise). If there are other video cards that I should consider that fit this criteria but would be better (more stable, faster, etc...) please let me know.

Also, since no one commented on the PSU I conclude that it would be more than adequate to power this system. After all it's only 750W

The reason for the network card was so that all the network processing could be offloaded to it. This was based on the suggestion I got from someone, but it seems that it might not be necessary with the 980x - I would like to know a little more about this, how much faster will my system actually be with it?

As for the storage drive, I was thinking of partitioning the main drive into 3 logical drives, and using one of them as a data drive for storing data needed for backtesting. Will having a second physical drive be faster or better in any way?

The data I will use for backtesting will only take 10GB space (max). There will be lots of backtesting done on this PC.

During live trading the system will not access this data at all - as the live quotes will be coming from a broker's server or directly from the exchange.

Regarding the memory: I really wanted to get fast (low latency ram) as I was told this would make a (small) difference.

Now I would definitely be able to run these sticks at 1600Mhz without overclocking?

The designated memory controller on this processor is 1066Mhz - does this mean I would need to change something in order to run this memory at 1600Mhz and at 7-9-8-24 (default timings)?

Thanks

Ok, no one answered the questions I had in my follow up post. Should I still expect that someone would answer, or should I repost these questions in a new thread?

I am new to this forum, but I've been reading a lot of posts and reviews on this site to see if the questions I have are already adressed, and couldn't find much.

Thanks