Reorienting Top Mounted PSU

Hi there,

I recently noticed that my PSU is running rather hot. It is mounted at the top of the case with its intake pointing downwards, perfectly placed for the CPU cooler to spew hot air into. As I am using a drill on my case nowadays to add fans, I was wondering if I ought to put a big ol' hole above the psu and flip it around so that it gets cooler air through it. Has anyone tried anything like this? Or better yet: is this a good idea? Let me know what you think.

I have thought about this before due to the same reason but after I added fans into the system that moved more air in this issue seemed to fix itself. What kind of fan are you using in the front or the rear.. I checked out the case and is there a possibility that you can put some 120mm fans in there that are high outputers... If you want to look around Scyth and Yate loon make good fans. May be noisy but will move the Air in there. If you can. pic's of te mods yu have performed would maybe help.

Also about that power supply?

How hot are we talking about though. Is it spitting out dang near burn you to the touch or just warmer air then everywhere else? And given that is a power supply that comes with a case, have to ask, is there a sticker on the PSU other the XION's branding. And is the fan in the Psu making noise by chance. Im not sure at this point if there is an issue with the heat it gives out or its just working hard over time and hovering arund the fan engaugement point.

Edited by boinker

well some cases that have bottom mount PSU locations do indeed even have a hole in the bottom of the case for the same reasoning you're using, to get the PSU nice fresh air. I doubt you will see any measurable differences, but it will make your PSU a little happier by getting cooler air.

So really, the choice is up to you

It may just be the nature of that PSU to run hot, especially if it's not very efficient. I'd look into getting a better power supply before I chopped up my case. You my also want to give this review a look: Xion PowerReal 700W If that's any thing like the PSU that came with your case you should consider upgrading.

The mods I'm making to the case are progressing rather slowly and haphazardly as I can't get the bit off the drill (have no vice grips), so I'm stuck using it. So far I've managed to mangle a piece of master chief's leg off. I just got my hands on some crazy shears and am hoping to make it a bit safer so that a fan can go on there The shears did nothing at all, I somehow envisioned them to be more effective. I also plan on making a hole in the top for an exhaust fan. Here are some (not so great quality) images of the carnage As you can probably tell I am new at this.

I am adding these holes in the case so that I can get more air through this thing, but i am also doing it because this way i can lower my fan speed a bit and thus make my computer quieter. Speaking of quiet: when i say the PSU is running hot I mean it spews some pretty hot air out and its fan picks up quite a bit of speed as my computer stays on over night. The fan inside it doesn't seem to be of any great quality so it gets fairly annoying.

It may just be the nature of that PSU to run hot, especially if it's not very efficient. I'd look into getting a better power supply before I chopped up my case. You my also want to give this review a look: Xion PowerReal 700W If that's any thing like the PSU that came with your case you should consider upgrading.

Unfortunately it does seem that I do have that exact terrible PSU in the review ... may have to invest in a new one. But I'm not really sure if that's in the budgetary cards right now.

This weekend I'm gonna make my neighbors really happy again, so I'll probably add some more pictures. If anyone has any suggestions as to the removal of the newly added metal teeth from my case or how to not suck on the next hole tomorrow let me know.

i would suggest a case with a bottom mounted power supply. it seems that quite a few case manufactures are doing this... even the cheap ones. Ive got an antec 900 with a bottom mounted psu and the whole system stays cool... try looking into it.

I you are going to have the intake of the psu drawing air for the out side you should get a dust cover.

If you think is warm now see what happens when the heat sinks get full of dust . They dont work so well.

A bit of u-channel molding ought to look fine on that...

That is an excellent idea with awesome implications for vibration damping as well. You just got a bunch more street cred :thumbs-up: .

i would suggest a case with a bottom mounted power supply. it seems that quite a few case manufactures are doing this... even the cheap ones. Ive got an antec 900 with a bottom mounted psu and the whole system stays cool... try looking into it.

I'm not sure if a new case is in the cards right now either. Trust me, I'd love a new case and a new PSU. Perhaps a CM 690 II advanced with a corsair 750 modular PSU would be great. But on my grad student stipend that translates into all ramen all the time for a long time.

Why does your case have Master Chief on it?

I'm not really sure ... it just came with that master chief side panel. This whole affair was put together without thinking of overclocking/airflow etc. I was in the "a case is a case, it shouldn't matter too much" phase. Later on after lurking on this website for a while I started overclocking the CPU and gfx card. As a direct result Master Chief suffered, and it turns out that the Covenant only needed a drill to take him down.

I you are going to have the intake of the psu drawing air for the out side you should get a dust cover.

If you think is warm now see what happens when the heat sinks get full of dust . They dont work so well.

I'm actually thinking about investing into some AC filters to trim up and attach to the intake holes as the stockings I'm currently employing don't seem like an efficient enough solution. They trap a lot of dust, but taking them off and putting them back on is not a very elegant process and i usually find a sharp edge on my case every time.