Is this hot?

Rankiz

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm having a similar problem with my 920 but with the stock heatsink. I ran prime95 for 15 mins and the temps (using coreTemp) on the cores ranged from a min of 72 to a max of 100 XD. I'm gonna re-mount the heatsink when I get home and my mum stops drooling at the speed of my machine, lol (she's been using a 6 y.o. Dell which is still running a celeron and ddr1). I guess I'll be watching this thread carefully. But any recommendations for a good heatsink except the noctua?

Edited by ArnieF4440

make sure if your at stock your not using "AUTO" for CPU voltage.

when i got my asus mobo, the bios had my voltages going way too high under 100% load.

it would auto give my cpu around 1.35 to run prime95 (with HT on)

thats a p*** poor estimate that resulted in way too high of temps for a brief period.

I've never had a issue with just putting a grain of rice sized blob in the center..

i can see some noob having an issue with a razor getting it all over and having something get somewhere it shouldn't, alot of thermal paste is conductive

you may make it sound simple, but you've done it too many times :P

Neither have I.. It's just the way I prefer to do it as I clearly stated, But you couldn't wrap that around your head cause the method you use is better right? <_>

Slight thread derailment:

How hot is too hot for an i7, and does that max safe temperature vary with i7 model?

Well, it will start throttling back at 100C, and for ever day temps it shouldn't be much over 80C.