Steam Comming to OSX!

greengiant912

DirectX is a Microsoft proprietary technology. Apple uses OpenGL, which is a cross-platform competitor to DirectX/Direct3D.

i would never have guessed. <_<

In theory, Valve and other developers that do cross-platform games could drop DirectX and switch over to OpenGL entirely, which would simplify development on Windows, Mac, and even Linux.

this might be an option, if directx wasn't leagues ahead of openGL.

As far as "apple are going to have to put in a phenomenal amount of work", that is one thing the company is known for... putting a lot of work, time, and money into their products. But it really isn't up to Apple, it is more up to the game developers.

does it seem likely to you that apple are going to put in as much work into developing an open API as microsoft do for directx? do you think there would be sufficient demand for mac gaming machines to justify that expenditure? frankly i don't.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People buy consoles, why would it be surprising if they started buying "gaming macs"? I can definitely see a bunch of console gamers that don't know any better doing it.

because console gaming hardware is cheaper than a gaming PC. macs are already pretty expensive, and if you start adding in high end GPU's, with apple's mark up people are going to be asking "do i want a new car, or a gaming mac?".

granted you can add in an aftermarket GPU at a non rip off price, but that goes against the whole "it just works" paradigm that supposedly justifies spending 3-4 times as much on a mac as you would on a PC.

this might be an option, if directx wasn't leagues ahead of openGL.

How do you figure? If nothing else, being cross-platform should put OpenGL leagues ahead of DirectX. :P Does a few FPS put one above the other? No... especially if both are above 60. ;)

does it seem likely to you that apple are going to put in as much work into developing an open API as microsoft do for directx? do you think there would be sufficient demand for mac gaming machines to justify that expenditure? frankly i don't.

Apple doesn't have to develop an open API. It's already using one... but then, Apple does release a lot of open source stuff. ;)

People buy consoles, why would it be surprising if they started buying "gaming macs"? I can definitely see a bunch of console gamers that don't know any better doing it.

I can see a lot of "PC gamers" doing it as well. Like me for example.

Oh I know there are people that buy it and know what they are getting, I honestly wouldn't mind owning a Mac myself if I had the money. I was just saying that I think there are a lot of people that would buy because they think it's worth the money, and I mean that already shows with a lot of people, there are a lot people that actually believe macs don't get viruses and we all know that isn't true but those people won't know any better until they see it for themselves, and I think a lot of it has to do with apple's recent marketing, I mean come on... those commercials are pretty good. :D

Edited by Deathmineral

After using my Mac for a long time now, I do believe it is worth the money. I feel that OS X is a superior OS. Yes, I know that I could build a system that is three times better for 1/2 the price (a bit of exaggeration). Yes, I know it is possible for OS X to get viruses, it is just less common right now... though with good practice (the same things you can do on Windows) you can avoid malware.

Yes, marketing has a lot to do with it. They spend a lot of time and money on those ads, and they do exactly what they are meant to... get people talking, and get people to buy the products. That's something that MS hasn't quite grasped yet with their marketing.

Buuuuut.... we're getting off topic. :P

The main argument that console gamers always use to justify consoles over PCs is the cost. Sorry, but there's no way Mac will make much headway in the gaming arena. Nobody will buy a Mac FOR gaming. Gaming on a mac is simply a bonus. This move is beneficial to existing Mac users and those that have been wanting a Mac but not wanting to have a second Windows machine (or dual-boot/vmware Windows).

How do you figure? If nothing else, being cross-platform should put OpenGL leagues ahead of DirectX. :P Does a few FPS put one above the other? No... especially if both are above 60. ;)

if the difference is only "a few FPS" then why are almost 100% of modern PC games written for directX? if the two were nearly as close as you're making out then 100% of PC games would surely be openGL because it's cross platform.

I can see a lot of "PC gamers" doing it as well. Like me for example.

i can't imagine the amount of stick you'd get around here if you purchased a gaming mac!

You say that as if it is bad.

uh slight misunderstanding, just a little sarcasm there. i was well aware of the existence and implementation of openGL before d3bruts1d's post. perhaps a " :P " would have been more appropriate, but sometimes it can be a little insulting to be told something you already know.