Best 120mm Fans?

I have decided that my current fans are not satisfactory and as such should get replaced. I am looking for a a fan to go in my Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme and was thinking of either this one or this one. I am also interested in getting a few case fans that are quiet and can move a good bit of air. I currently have these in my case and they are absolutely NOT 19dBa at all and they are not pushing anywhere near 70CFM either. What does everyone think about this?

Guest ajmatson

The Noctua's are really good. I also Like Skythe fans, I just bought two Skythe Slipstream 1900RPM fans for my radiator on a fan controller.

The Noctua's are really good. I also Like Skythe fans, I just bought two Skythe Slipstream 1900RPM fans for my radiator on a fan controller.

Im also using the Noctua. Its very quiet and pushes decent air. I previously had the Scythe Slipstream which was good while it worked but seized after about 8 months. Was noisier as well.

I hope your Slipstreams hold up, matson, because I'm going to have to concur with the other two posters. My longest-lived Slipstream (the 1900RPM varieties) lasted about one year. Here's hoping your luck is better.

That being said, I've had much better luck with Scythe's S-FDB fans, particularly the 1600RPM model. While it doesn't push as much air as the Slipstreams, it's quieter and (hopefully) longer-lived. They are a bit more expensive though. Would I say they're the "best" fans out there? Nah. Noctua makes some good fans as do a couple other manufacturers. I'm liking the Scythe S-FDB fans, though, regardless.

thanks all for your input. After some intense research I managed to eliminate the enermax from the options. I looked at the noiseblockers and they seem rather awesome This one in particular caught my interest as it pushes more air than the noctua pf12 (and does so fairly quietly) but then again so does this other noctua fan (marginally, but silently). As far as looks go, they're not much of a concern, as one of these fans is going inside my cpu cooler where it's away from aesthetic criticism. Anyone have any of the aforementioned fans that could vouch one way or the other?

I actually got two 120mm Noctua fans for free from a friend, and since I have an SSD, I definitely noticed a difference in sound after replacing the 120mm Thermaltake fans I also got for free. It's so quiet...

The Noctua NF-S12B doesn't have as much static pressure as the PF12 though, so watch where you'd be using the fan. Noctua explains this on their site, check it out: http://noctua.at/main.php?show=which_fan&lng=en and http://noctua.at/main.php?show=nf_s12_p12_...ison&lng=en

Noiseblockers are great fans too! I don't have a single local store that carries the Noiseblockers here though, so I've to go with Noctua's.

thanks all for your input. After some intense research I managed to eliminate the enermax from the options. I looked at the noiseblockers and they seem rather awesome This one in particular caught my interest as it pushes more air than the noctua pf12 (and does so fairly quietly) but then again so does this other noctua fan (marginally, but silently). As far as looks go, they're not much of a concern, as one of these fans is going inside my cpu cooler where it's away from aesthetic criticism. Anyone have any of the aforementioned fans that could vouch one way or the other?

Im curios, how well do the Enermax magma's fare up in comparison to the Noctua's? I was looking into getting a set a while back but opted to keep my Thermaltake ones, which are great but obviously outclassed in this discussion :P

Im curios, how well do the Enermax magma's fare up in comparison to the Noctua's? I was looking into getting a set a while back but opted to keep my Thermaltake ones, which are great but obviously outclassed in this discussion :P

Thermaltake is great for airflow, but noisy like a New York city cab driver.

I was also wondering of the same thing until i found this review which covers all sorts of fans including the noctuas and the enermax.

The Noctua NF-S12B doesn't have as much static pressure as the PF12 though, so watch where you'd be using the fan. Noctua explains this on their site, check it out: http://noctua.at/main.php?show=which_fan&lng=en and http://noctua.at/main.php?show=nf_s12_p12_...ison&lng=en

Noiseblockers are great fans too! I don't have a single local store that carries the Noiseblockers here though, so I've to go with Noctua's.

Thanks kuri for pointing that static pressure thing out. Now that I've been reading more about it, I'm thinking the noiseblocker multiframe m12-p might very well end up going in my cpu heatsink now. I'll probably go with something a bit more affordable for the case fans though. I'm unbelievably aroused by all the modding my case is about to withstand, as the powertools are definitelly getting used (my cheap case doesn't have room for all the fans I'm throwing at it, so I get to make room :D )!