What SSD To Pick For (Only) OS & Programs

I am looking for a SSD drive to put my OS (Windows 7 64-bit) and Programs on. I am new to SSD's and am not looking to spend a huge amount of money on one. What would you recommend for a good SSD in performance and value? I am thinking of an OCZ SSD.

Hope to hear from you soon :)

I'm happy with my OCZ Agility 60GB! Relatively affordable and large enough for OS + some software

Thanks for you replys. I am looking into a OCZ Agility SSD and will probaley get the 60Gb because it will only have Windows 7 and all my programs on. And will be using a WD caviar Black 500GB for file storage. Thanks for your recomendations. :)

Is it worth it to run SSDs in raid 0? I've been thinking of running either 2 60gb or 2 100gb drives in a raid0 for OS and games/applications.

Access time is already pretty damn quick and I personally don't care for very high sequential read/write performance so IMO, no.

If all you need is more storage, just get a single larger one, they're cheaper anyway ($/GB)

Edited by Zertz

Access time is already pretty damn quick and I personally don't care for very high sequential read/write performance so IMO, no.

If all you need is more storage, just get a single larger one, they're cheaper anyway ($/GB)

:withstupid:

I remember I wanted to get two 60's and run them but 1 120 is cheaper (and I think that the OCZ's 120 has more cache, or am I thinking of the jump from 30-60GB??) I'm no SSD pro :lol:

They aren't quite in my considerable price range

:withstupid:

I remember I wanted to get two 60's and run them but 1 120 is cheaper (and I think that the OCZ's 120 has more cache, or am I thinking of the jump from 30-60GB??) I'm no SSD pro :lol:

They aren't quite in my considerable price range

All Vertex/Agility drives have 64MB of cache.

No, the 30GB Agility only has 32MB of cache, hence it's high access time and low write speeds compared to the 60/120GB versions.

However, the 60+GB Agilities and Vertexes are pretty much equivalent in price/performance. If you need more performance you gotta get either the new Vertex LE, Intel G2, or the OCZ Colossus.

As for RAID, yeah, it's worth it if you have a raid controller. If not, don't waste the money. The improvements over single disks won't be enough to justify it. Especially not on AMD systems :(

No, the 30GB Agility only has 32MB of cache, hence it's high access time and low write speeds compared to the 60/120GB versions.

Once again all Vertex and Agility drives have 64GB Cache. The difference in access time and speeds is because of the configuration of the NAND.

• 2 weeks later...

exactly what I want to - I have a caviar black 640GB for game 'n such. for OS and apps I'd like to purchase a SSD.

now they are superbly expensive. and by my count I need at least 50GB. that's w/o all the temp files for recoding things. addon another 10GB.

for fun - mmmmm 1TB lol costs twice as my pC all together! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820227500 ha! (just for note - in no way am I thinking of purchasing this)... I need a sensible SSD about 100GB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820167016 seems a bit more tolerable then 375$ for another one. should I get it? or should I go for the bigger 100GB?

could someone plz ell me why this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820139137 is so little compared to intel's 375$?

Edited by Crawlerz246