ATi 4890 going KA-RAZYY in the gloiven

Crawlerz246

a Simpson fan already can guess at the problem... for the rest I'll explain.

I built a PC not three weeks ago (all in my sig). I carried over a ATi 4890 card from the DELL I had.

now I dl'd rivatuner and tried my hand at overclocking the bastard. ATi's control center didnt do a good job at OC even with the AUTOsearch. so slowly, eventually I brought it up to 975/1110/auto fan. seemed stable. ran furmark several times. all held.

then I noticed on windows startup and media center startup (I use this PC to watch tv with the AVer - see my sig) the sreen shook a few times. in gta 4 I also had some artifacts. I took the OC off. still the problems remain. shaking for a few times at startup.

and the max temp in furmark showed as 72 with the OC. now that it's off - tis lower.

what's wrong? did I fry it?

Have you tried setting everything to default in Rivatuner as well as in ATI CCC and un-ticking Enable ATI Overdrive? Try using MSI AfterBurner to overclock and GPUTool to test for stability, it will tell you if it detects any artifacts. Try for a smaller overclock like 935/1085 and see how it works out :P

Edited by SuperEmostastix

Im not sure if your aware of this,but in gta 4,you have to set mip map detail to max in CCC,or else you get weord stuff happening with the gfx.At least that was the case a while back.

Try this, I know the game has some issues.

I tried lowering GTA4's video options. tried disabling catalyst AI. tried disabling OC in catalyst control center (as opposed to riva tuner). nothing worked.

but I think I found it. in all my attempts at overclocking I never changed fan control from stock/auto. IMO the card was just overheating. I clocked the fan at 40% speed (saw an immedeate temp drop) and the artifacts all but disappeared (time will tell if they come back).

I must say at over 40% speed the fan is LOUD! like a damn plane taking off.