Solid wireless PCI adapter for 64 bit OS?

angelicvoices

yea like i said i use it on my netty which runs 32 bit w7 pro, my folding machine which runs 64 bit w7 pro and occasionally on my gamer,also 64 b it w7 pro, when i'm working on it on the bench.....one last use is at work on my office puter which runs 32 bit vista ultimate...i have no problems with any of them but i have no way to know what your experience will be....

the drivers that come in the box haven't failed yet and so far w7 hasn't found anything better...i run a linksys wireless router,b,g, on a cable modem at home and the work modem is phoneline dsl and linksys wireless router. maybe that's why they seem so fast, i dunno but i have no great luv for linksys/cisco adapters either...

Okay, I am going to try the Buffalo adapter then. Thanks! :)

Okay, I am going to try the Buffalo adapter then. Thanks! :)

ok but please check into the suggestion zertz made back at post #3 where he said his D-Link DWA-542 pci works in w7 too....i thought that was a pretty viable alternative if you have your sights set on pci... but i'm not familiar with that product...

We got the Ralink 2500 (or whatever they were) drivers working. I think we found them on a thread on the linksys forum. We had to uninstall the device, and then research for it with the internet unplugged so it wouldn't get broken drivers from the internet. The drivers were installed locally, by pointing it to the exact directory and nothing else. The W7 automatic drivers are nice when they work, but are a bit of a pain when they don't. x64 drivers are getting better (for the major parts, they're fine), however, I couldn't believe how much trouble we had with a wireless card... Luckily, the computer store we were buying the new one from had a Shuttle PC with internet so we did some major research before we decided which to buy :)

Crazy_Nate, can you send me the link to where I can find more information on this? I have a Ralink RT256x PCI wireless card as well and will be moving to Windows 7 64-bit soon. I've heard tons of issues with the card when using it with a 64-bit O/S with more than 4GB of RAM. Do the latest drivers from Ralink's website work/resolve the problem?

Edited by kuri

Crazy_Nate, can you send me the link to where I can find more information on this? I have a Ralink RT256x PCI wireless card as well and will be moving to Windows 7 64-bit soon. I've heard tons of issues with the card when using it with a 64-bit O/S with more than 4GB of RAM. Do the latest drivers from Ralink's website work/resolve the problem?

Well, here's the thing... The card we installed was a Linksys (USB) one. This is the second occasion where I've had to use Ralink drivers over the one from the manufacturer. The first time was with a edimax card in linux, the second was this WUSB54G in W7 x64.

You might luck out with your drivers, however, the most of what I've seen on the internet is either a freezing problem, or stuttering issues (I think the latest drivers may have fixed the freezing issue: link).

After all the trouble with W7 x64 and wireless cards, I'm just about ready to run wires everywhere. Those just...work <_<

Best of luck :thumbs-up:

ok but please check into the suggestion zertz made back at post #3 where he said his D-Link DWA-542 pci works in w7 too....i thought that was a pretty viable alternative if you have your sights set on pci... but i'm not familiar with that product...

Unfortunately, the DWA-542 seems to be a discontinued product and I am not able to find it new anywhere. I would rather not have to deal with refurbished or ebay.

ETA: it seems to have been replaced with the DWA-556, which uses the newest Atheros 5008 chip.. very intriguing. Does anyone have thoughts on D-Link quality?

Edited by angelicvoices

Unfortunately, the DWA-542 seems to be a discontinued product and I am not able to find it new anywhere. I would rather not have to deal with refurbished or ebay.

ETA: it seems to have been replaced with the DWA-556, which uses the newest Atheros 5008 chip.. very intriguing. Does anyone have thoughts on D-Link quality?

I've had 3 D-Link wireless PCI adapters (b, g and n) and they all worked fine..

The DWA-556 is PCI-Express 1x btw

I've had 3 D-Link wireless PCI adapters (b, g and n) and they all worked fine..

The DWA-556 is PCI-Express 1x btw

That's okay. I have two open x1 slots and I only have plans for one of them. I think I'm going to try the D-link first, but Buffalo will be my backup plan.

Well, here's the thing... The card we installed was a Linksys (USB) one. This is the second occasion where I've had to use Ralink drivers over the one from the manufacturer. The first time was with a edimax card in linux, the second was this WUSB54G in W7 x64.

You might luck out with your drivers, however, the most of what I've seen on the internet is either a freezing problem, or stuttering issues (I think the latest drivers may have fixed the freezing issue: link).

After all the trouble with W7 x64 and wireless cards, I'm just about ready to run wires everywhere. Those just...work <_<

Best of luck :thumbs-up:

Thanks for the tip! I do in fact have the Edimax PCI wireless card. I hope the latest drivers don't have this problem when I upgrade then...