Console Wars

Desktop-pro

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I find the console wars kind of dumb and anyone who chooses one side over the other is just idiotic. There are benefits to Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo as well as detractors to all of them. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, it just depends on who is selling the most that people complain the least about imo.

I own all three consoles of this gen and both the handhelds. I have no problem sticking with one group over the other, I play the games on the systems I like the most. If a game is only out for one system, I get it for that system and don't sit and complain that its not out for the PS3/360/Wii. I've had problems with all three systems and each one is a refurb or will soon be (mostly because I haven't gotten around to backing up my Wii's data to ship it in :P)

Granted, the majority of my games are for the PS3 but thats because I've had it since it launched, followed by the Wii and then the 360. I play them all equally, I enjoy them all equally, and to say one console sucks more than the others is just ignorant in my book.

For the controllers, I personally love the PS3 controller because I've been using it since the original PSX days. The 360 controller is a little funky and the Wii is just fricking sweet, but they redesign their controller for every system so you have to give them props for not getting complacent.

I personally thought he made very informative points and was fair with his judgments. Would certainly be a good source for people looking to get a system this holiday.

I did as well. I'm just stating my opinion on the whole "war" thing and why I find it idiotic.

Maybe I should show these videos to my buddies who hate all things Sony...

IMO it still blows my mind that the 360 won the wars (vs. the PS3).

The PS3 had blu-ray, reliability, better looks (IMO), faster components, internal wi-fi, HDMI, media readers, customizable hard drives, free online play, etc.

The war is very stupid, especially since the game performance on them is usually pretty close to identical. I didn't watch the videos on them, but arguing about the CPU and GPU is extremely dumb imo, because they both get completely and utterly slaughtered by even a PC with something like an hd4670.

With the exception of the past few days, I haven't played my xbox 360 hardly at all for several months. Maybe the flagship titles are different but I rented and played the Saboteur and it's fun, but WOW the aliasing and the textures are very bad, even from viewing 6ft away on a 32" screen. Then if you snipe from a building, you can easily see areas that don't even have textures applied to the surfaces. My other brother also rented MW2 a few days ago and that didn't have much a jaggy problem except for a few things like electricity lines, but the textures were low res and everything looked washed out.

Anyways, I'm glad to be able to play with my PC :D

It's pretty obvious that they can't compete with PC but they do have some advantages over pc even. A few for example would be controllers, if you prefer them I mean, or space and convenience, they usually aren't as big as most gaming computers and for people that don't want to deal with building their own computer, it's a matter of perspective.

I personally want to get a PS3 for a lot of the exclusives and because I have always loved and enjoyed the playstation franchise.

IMO it still blows my mind that the 360 won the wars (vs. the PS3).
Do you own a PS3?

===============

For me the choices between the three are very clear cut.

PS3 = a bunch of PS3 exclusives ( I love ). play with friends online (if they owned one :P)

360 = play with friends online. no exclusives I love.

Wii = play with family/friends in the house. RE 4 was a blast, haven't had time to play any cool exclusives like No More Heroes and Zack & Wiki.

Edited by Krazyxazn

Do you own a PS3?

No, only a 360, as that's what my friends have. I'm basing my info off of spec sheets though.

Hardware wise and strictly from the point of view of features, the PS3 takes the cake pretty easily, IMO.

Hardware wise and strictly from the point of view of features, the PS3 takes the cake pretty easily, IMO.

Price and it's late launch is what put it behind. Xbox Live! as a whole has a huge advantage and still does (population size and usability). 360 has more RAM and the developers do make a point of this whenever the compare the two. Most of the PS3 versions of the game are handled by a 3rd party group from the main game developer who works on the 360 version. Most PS3 multiplatform games, developers don't use higher textures to fill out the blu-ray. They just carbon copy straight from their 6 GB 360 copies. Some PS3 games run slower then their 360 counterparts. Games on the PS3 take longer to develop and even then the outcome isn't very good, unless the team is very talented and dedicated (Ex. Konami, Naughty Dog, Zipper Interactive, Bioware, Atlus Co., SCEA Guerrilla, SCEA Sucker Punch, SCEA Insomniac Games, SCEA Media Molecule, SCEA, and etc). It really doesn't take the cake easily.

At the end of the day, I still take my PS3 over the 360. I got more exclusives I want to play on the PS3, while I have almost none on the 360.

Edited by Krazyxazn

Price and it's late launch is what put it behind. Xbox Live! as a whole has a huge advantage and still does (population size and usability). 360 has more RAM and the developers do make a point of this whenever the compare the two. Most of the PS3 versions of the game are handled by a 3rd party group from the main game developer who works on the 360 version. Most PS3 multiplatform games, developers don't use higher textures to fill out the blu-ray. They just carbon copy straight from their 6 GB 360 copies. Some PS3 games run slower then their 360 counterparts. Games on the PS3 take longer to develop and even then the outcome isn't very good, unless the team is very talented and dedicated (Ex. Konami, Naughty Dog, Zipper Interactive, Bioware, Atlus Co., SCEA Guerrilla, SCEA Sucker Punch, SCEA Insomniac Games, SCEA Media Molecule, SCEA, and etc). It really doesn't take the cake easily.

You lay it out well, I forgot about development for the PS3.

Thanks for sharing those videos. I especially think videos 4 & 5 are quite informative and do a good job detailing strengths and weaknesses of the two types of architectures. Even PC fanbois should watch those two videos alone. Someday people will realize consoles are nothing more than specialized computers and specialized computers are always more efficient. The computer in the Space Shuttle is a specialized computer for that very reason and even though it is very ancient by today's standards it still does the job it needs to do very well ...and that is protecting the lives and millions of dollars of unreproducible technology that today's engineers are struggling to duplicate let alone make better - i.e. the rocket technology. And that computer protects all of that very well.

Despite those videos being nothing but technical he managed to squeak in some good humor - like the 3 buffalos blowing up the Wii in Round 4, and comparing the 360's power supply's size to the Wii in Round 3... :lol:

Far as the game systems themselves - this is 1st time I've owned all 3 and I have to say that all 3 are great in their own ways. I could list a bunch of Pros for each game system and reasons they are worth their money and the demographic they fit best. In the end though, I play my 360 the most ...even before MW2 (electric crack) came out.