Console Wars

Desktop-pro

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I can't say I agree with him on round 7, I prefer the GUI of the PS3 myself, mainly because I don't really care about online integration and online features like achievements/trophies, and achievements and trophies are pretty much the dumbest thing to ever come to gaming in my opinion. Little disappointed about round 8, while I agree completely that the PS3 is better for media playback, he really didn't cover as much as he could have, for example one of my favorite features about the PS3 is that I can videos in slo-mo, as well as many other features that go along that line. Round 9 is pretty much BS in my opinion because a games graphics and performance really depends on the developer as well and this really shows with games like Bayonetta and Dragon Age, bayonetta was ported by sega and for the most part they can't port or localize anything properly, and dragon age looks and plays best on PC but the PS3 version came in second and the 360 version wasn't even close to the other two.

Edited by Deathmineral

I personally dont like the PS3 very much.I hate the controller,and whats up with the 100's of menus in the dashboard? Plus ps3 trophies sounds dumb next to acheivements.Its like they just threw the name in there cos they couldnt think of anything else.Ps1 and 2 were great though.

The controller is pretty similar to the old one, but better. Wireless, built-in rechargeable batteries, and standard mini-USB (not proprietary). Don't like the concave triggers, then buy Giotek PS3 Real Triggers.

The 360's dashboard probably just has as many menus.

Are you seriously complaining about the use of the word trophies over achievements :P

Don't forget that the PS3 menu loads up a ton faster than the 360 menus. MS had to launch a patch just to speed up the 360 Dashboard and that was a minimal improvement at best imo.

The 360 menu system is actually my 2nd biggest complaint about the 360 - 1st being the failure rate.

The menu system is so painfully slow I want to beat my head on my desk everytime I use it. Try sending a text msg mid-match in a FPS game.

Try sending a text msg mid-match in a FPS game.

This is why I love steam, works well for chatting and gaming at the same time, very painless, but of course this also depends on the persons computer, but it works well for me and that's all that counts. :D

Are you seriously complaining about the use of the word trophies over achievements :P

I really am.Little things like that combine to make a bigger,better thing.Or something.

In my opinion trophies are the better word anyway... I mean have you ever seen some of the achievements for some of the games out there, a lot of them are not things I would consider achievements, I mean take fallout 3 for example, the first achievement is for getting the pip-boy, like seriously? you aren't achieving anything right there, it's in the first 10 minutes of the game. Also, I'm not just picking on achievements here, trophies have the same stupid system, I've gotten tons of trophies for simply moving forward in the story, and that's just plain silly.

Actually, I think microsoft and sony could learn a thing or two from steam, steam does it right for the most part. Sure, it has extremely easy achievements but they typically are not given to you for progressing through the game, usually you have to go out of your way a least a little bit for it.

Edited by Deathmineral

This is why I love steam, works well for chatting and gaming at the same time, very painless, but of course this also depends on the persons computer, but it works well for me and that's all that counts. :D

There is no arguement PC does communication better, and you don't need Steam to accomplish it. The videos are PS3 vs 360 tho.

And honestly, what is the point of Trophies and Achievements anyway? I'm a completitionist and even I don't have the desire to Pokemon the crap. You gain absolutely nothing. I suppose if you just absolutely love the game its an excuse to play the game again, but games these days seem to care more about Graphics than fun factor. It's not like the Mario games where you collect the Stars and actually get something for collecting all 100 Stars. If collecting all the achievements halfed the price of the DLC, than we might be talking. But give me something for searching under each leaf in each forest stage for a stupid little thing that adds absolutely nothing to the gameplay - like a little extra added to the ending of the game ...or something...

Edited by Fogel

I know the videos are PS3 vs 360 but even so that doesn't mean we can't chat about the Wii or PC or Dreamcast. Besides it's not like those videos are all that well done, it's clearly not a complete side by side comparison without any personal feelings involved, don't get me wrong, they are good videos and the guy makes great points but they aren't good enough to say they can decide which console is better because he leaves out tons of details... and that is how the dreamcast comes into all of this. :D

Well I was enjoying round 10 until he mentioned Left 4 Dead 2, I realize it's PS3 vs 360 only but I can't accept that because it's clearly not an exclusive, especially since I would say the majority of vavle's fan base is on the PC, then he uses Mass Effect 2 as another argument, still not an exclusive. Also, the mentioning on metacritic scores is just plain stupid in my opinion as many of those reviews are done by people that have outrageous standards and got the game for free, in my opinion prices can change an opinion entirely and free almost always makes a game better. The only part that I can agree with him on is the PS3 has the better exclusives, even though he barely touched on the subject and didn't even mention half the exclusives on the PS3, but he did cover almost all of them on the 360, so much so that he had to resort to using PC/Xbox titles, I think that really says something about the amount of exclusives on the 360.