Dead HD Help

privateapples

So my WD passport external HD just doesnt pop up anymore when i connect it to a pc. im not sure what happened to it does anyone know how I can go about getting the files off of it? I dont want to have to pay someone to do it but I have alot of important files on it from work :( !!

i have had problems with these before. in the end i notice the chip that does IDE->usb is cheap and goes out. take the shell off of it and and place it internally and see if it runs. i have a 1tb in here right now that used to be a external and the same issue happened

i have had problems with these before. in the end i notice the chip that does IDE->usb is cheap and goes out. take the shell off of it and and place it internally and see if it runs. i have a 1tb in here right now that used to be a external and the same issue happened

can you still put it back together and warranty it without a hitch?? I just run a scorpio in my own enclosure (which is the same drives they run in passports except I can tinker with them all I want with no fear of warranty voiding)

does bob vila put warranty stickers back on? removing the sticker will void the warranty unless you use steam to remove it proper.

i didn't even think of that, but then again anything under $150 i usually don't register

does bob vila put warranty stickers back on? removing the sticker will void the warranty unless you use steam to remove it proper.

i didn't even think of that, but then again anything under $150 i usually don't register

you don't have to register drives to get the warranty...atleast I never had to. Western Digital took both of my dead scorpios and Seagate took my 1TB no questions asked

if hardware goes out on me, and i think i might be able to fix i don't think id be able to hold back in trying :}

plus, he asked how to get his data back. you have not a chance to get it back by RMA'ing it. sometimes the data = more valuable than the drive itself

Edited by cirro

if hardware goes out on me, and i think i might be able to fix i don't think id be able to hold back in trying :}

plus, he asked how to get his data back. you have not a chance to get it back by RMA'ing it. sometimes the data = more valuable than the drive itself

yeah I tried that route before, I bought an identical model 1TB and tried to use it's logic board to save my 700GB of anime...no good :( I lost it all.

thats gotta hurt deep in teh gut, i remember being so mad about my passport going from fine to nothing i broke the case off it (literally) and shoved it in my computer.

ya my home built "passport" never has important stuff on it.