Moto Droid iPhone killer?

Inverted2

It surfaced under the name sholes but was then changed to the droid. You may have seen the commercials bashing the iPhone and that is what it hopes to do. Google has its hands directly in this project to hopefully create a new era in mobile phone use. Here is a link to the commercial link

Specs

3.7″ screen with 854

post-69122-1255929999_thumb.jpg

post-69122-1255930077_thumb.jpg

Damn nice, I may even switch for a phone this sexy if it came to sprint. I'm interested in Android but am a Windows Mobile lover now.

That resolution is crazy good, and it has a whopping 72 mhz higher CPU speed :P

Edited by IVIYTH0S

I remember really enjoying the HTC Hero videos and that was Android 1.x. The Droid is supposed to be Android 2.0 and from the screenshots I've seen it looks amazing. I would totally switch to this from my iPhone if I wasn't in the middle of a contract. I'm gonna wait for the fourth gen iPhone to see what Apple has to offer but if it's nothing compelling then I might switch to an Android phone.

The phone looks slick, and Android has a lot of nice things (and some not-so-nice things).

It won't be an iPhone killer though. Like Kash, there are a ton of people currently in contracts with the iPhone... most people won't dicth mid contract even with the hatred for AT&T. There needs to be a new, fresh phone around the time that the iPhone 3G users are coming off their contracts... but assuming Apple follows the yearly refresh on the iPhone, whatever new phone comes out will have to compete with a 4th gen iPhone. By then, the buzz will have worn off of this one... and everyone will be talking about something else as the "iPhone killer".

The commercials are funny, but they really only apply to the tech savvy. The average user won't understand what the ad is trying to get at...

Damn nice, I may even switch for a phone this sexy if it came to sprint. I'm interested in Android but am a Windows Mobile lover now.

That resolution is crazy good, and it has a whopping 72 mhz higher CPU speed :P

Sprint has a very similar phone. Called HTC Hero. ;)

The phone looks slick, and Android has a lot of nice things (and some not-so-nice things).

It won't be an iPhone killer though. Like Kash, there are a ton of people currently in contracts with the iPhone... most people won't dicth mid contract even with the hatred for AT&T. There needs to be a new, fresh phone around the time that the iPhone 3G users are coming off their contracts... but assuming Apple follows the yearly refresh on the iPhone, whatever new phone comes out will have to compete with a 4th gen iPhone. By then, the buzz will have worn off of this one... and everyone will be talking about something else as the "iPhone killer".

The commercials are funny, but they really only apply to the tech savvy. The average user won't understand what the ad is trying to get at...

The real problem, and reason this won't be an "iPhone killer" is the app store. Until a competitor can develop an app store to compete with Apple's, there is always going to be a compelling reason to get an iPhone, even if the screen may not be as big, or the camera isn't as powerful, or the keyboard isn't as good, etc etc.

I hava a BB Storm and I wish I had an Iphone. I have an Itouch and love the thing. I spend more time on that then my BB. I was a big BB guy but not anymore. I hope the IPhone comes to verizon when the contract with ATT is up.