1st biuld happening!

ClaymanVTW

I'd get a newer motherboard. A 790x gx fx or a 780g or 785g that were designed for Phenom II's and have an sb 710/750.

unless you already have that mobo? Might need a bios update though.

Edited by damian

I already have all the parts and have started. So far, ive gotten the RAM, GPU, CPU (and fan/heatsink) on the mobo, and am not sure what to do next. any ideas?

PS-the mobo does support Phenom II, it says in the instruction booklet.

What is a SATA Cable (im not making a deal about it, my dad is. i figure if it connects correctly into the right slot, and does what is supposed to do its good, but no. weve gotta know it. which i kinda understand, but if he were that worried about it i woulda been quized on 45 different subjects by now :P)

We are about to install the OS (Vista 64 bt, Home Edition) any pre-requisites, hints, or how to's?

Will we need internet connection to instal the OS?

Thanks!!

Quick replys are appriciated! haha. i wanna get this biult and get my bed (our workstation) back by tonight!!

SATA cables are a thin data cable used for newer optical drives and hard drives. Basically its a better, faster, and more compact version of a data cable compared to the older IDE cables.

In terms of ease of use and wire management SATA components are the way to go.

You basically just plug it into the matching slots on the motherboard and the optical or hard drive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sata

===========

As for installing a new OS. There really aren't any tips. Other than backing up data if you plan to reformat.

You don't need internet connection to install an OS, but you will when you activate it. If for some reason you don't have access to the internet after installing it. I believe there is a phone activation option. I believe you have a while to activate it. So there is no rush, other than small popups asking you to activate.

Edited by Krazyxazn

SATA cables connect your HDD and Optical Drives, assuming they are SATA, to your motherboard. You probably got a couple or more with the motherboard.

Set your first boot device to CDROM in bios so it boots from your Vista disk which you have previoiusly inserted into the CDROM drive. Follow the instructions and things should go smoothly. If your HDD(s) are new it may have to format those first which could take a while.

You don't need internet to install the OS.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by paulktreg

thank guys!

EDIT: "Set your first boot device to CDROM in bios so it boots from your Vista disk which you have previoiusly inserted into the CDROM drive."

sorry, and i'll probobly sound an idiot, and make you all scared witht he fact that im biulding a computer for saying this but what do yo mean? laymans terms pleas? :P

Edited by ClaymanVTW

sorry, and i'll probobly sound an idiot, and make you all scared witht he fact that im biulding a computer for saying this but what do yo mean? laymans terms pleas? :P

Normally, a computer boots from the hard drive, but you want it to boot from the CD/DVD drive (to install the OS) and you'll need to go to your boot options in BIOS to change it to just that.

In BIOS, it should look like this:

Boot Menu >

[Hard Drive]

[CD/DVD Drive]

[3.5 Floppy]

and you could switch them around.

Put CD/DVD Drive first.

sorry, and i'll probably sound an idiot, and make you all scared with the fact that im building a computer for saying this but what do yo mean? laymans terms please? :P

Don't worry about it. Almost everyone here was asking the same questions are you are now when they first started. It's good that your asking questions, instead of trying to wing it.

Steps to set CD/DVD drive to 1st device to boot from:

http://www.hiren.info/pages/bios-boot-cdrom

alright well we just finished connecting power switches and stuff like that (well not "just" but we took a break) and we were wondering, after we follow the BIOS isntructions in the MSI manuel, and what we're supposed to do above, what we do next.

Weve got about a 99.99999999999999% correct guess we install the OS? and then what? the disk that came with the mobo, PSU, GPU etc? in what order if any?

thanks all!

Seems like you still have internet. Skip all the driver discs. The drivers on most discs are old and outdated. Unless its a brand new product.

Go directly to the manufacture's website and download the latest drivers there.

You can install them in any order. My suggestion is to download them all and install them all and restart your computer after it's all done.

Edited by Krazyxazn