ATi card with Nvidia card for physx

Well that's horse biscuits! I was getting an nvidia card for that myself after I got a P55 mobo with the third pci-x slot..... :(

you can just run 185 drivers and update they physx software independently...I just don't see the point to physx.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not dedicating a gpu that costs how much to the function of physx, is it really worth how much the gpu costs, (i have no idea how much it costs, but if they cost more than a sound card i'd be pissed)

well yeah, even with scoring a great card like the 8800GT for $60. I don't see the eye candy being worth it. Though I will withhold my final opinions until I play the newer games

does it change the physx ingame or does it just take load off the cpu

There are certain effects that are removed and some that are just minimized when you turn off physx. I'll have to see what cryostasis, batman, and darkest of days look like since in Mirror's Edge (the only physx game I have currently), the difference isn't worth the money.

The biggest perk of having the 8800GT so far has been folding :lol:

well yeah, even with scoring a great card like the 8800GT for $60. I don't see the eye candy being worth it. Though I will withhold my final opinions until I play the newer games

I would hold off, you might regret getting rid of it. Everyone is saying HavoK will take over and crush physX, but the truth is: if it takes over at all, its not gonna be overnight, its gonna be more then a yr, maybe more then 2.

Games take a long time to develop, and there is solid physX lineup for the next while.

I am a fan of advanced physics, the reality is its... not gonna end, its gonna keep advancing. PhysX is an early stepping stone, thats about it, another step. I dont think for a second that it will be able to remain as it is, I think we will eventually have a standard, but in their current states, PhysX nor HavoK dont fit the bill. Its got to be a free open standard, and that is partly PhysX making. See Havok has a good opportunity as well, as good as any, but i can see them Coexisting for some time. One major reason being that Havok, while free for everyone to use, isnt free for developers as PhysX is. The DX11 GPU HavoK may come out free for developers when it comes out, it may not. See HavoK has to make money, physX has to make Nvidia money. Thats why i dont see havok wiping the floor of physX. Its just way to early for anyone to say that. I dont want to get into an argument on which is better, because really neither is better. You cant just say it like that, they both have their pros and cons

The truth is there will be a standard, its just not gonna be either unless they change. physX is giving developers something that will hurt Havok to offer. HavoK are their own company even though intel owns them, they are left to operate on their own profits. That doesnt mean intel/HavoK wont change things. I think HavoK is very successful the way it is, they are making good profits. Things are working well for them, hats off. But see thats why i dont think they are gonna drop all and be free, just to take over the standard for GPU based physX. Thats why i see them coexisting, because they can. HavoK is making it well, they really arent competing directly. It appears that way for the PC user, but i doubt PhysX has caused HavoK to loose a dime.

As far as using your GPU, I think a smaller GPU used just for physX is like the same as having a discrete physics ppu, not much different. Its a big drag nvidia is pulling the crap of not allowing newer drivers to work with any ati car installed. Thats a bummer. I feel like its Nvidias attempt to buff up because ATI refused their physX/Cuda offer. Nvidia is now trying to cash in on their creation that nobody else (ati) wanted to touch. Now that it is established and somewhat successful, this is Nvidias middle finger to ATI. They may also know already that this next generation of GPU will bring slowly an end to physX being a reason to buy nvidia, so they might be trying to cash in as much as they can while they have this going for them. But this is all corporate politics that are affecting the end user, and i think its really a stupid move because it makes ppl dislike them because it effects them directly. We see these kinda moves all the time, and the PC arena is getting pretty nasty with the big ones at each other over just about everything, there are many lawsuits as we speak involving intel, amd, nvidia in every combination back in forth. the results of the bickering are felt by the end pc users. the consumers. Its not pretty and is probably gonna get uglier.

I still think we should spread the word that although Nvidia stopped physX for ATI users with their newer drivers, it can still be done pretty easily. Maybe the n-nvidia will see the ppls stance, maybe they wont. But we dont still dont have to be affected by these corporate chess moves. I think we should all spread the word, and no matter what. I have been in computers since i was in the single digits age wise. I am excited every time something new comes out, when computers advance to the next level. My first computer was 2 colors, then i went coco 1,2,3 crazy. I was stoked when the first 3d accelerators hit, you had to go from a 2d cards output to an input on the 3d card, then an out put on that same card would go to your monitor. It was crazy but it worked, but thats how things go they change and change and change. I dont see things on a short term, i have seen things evolve, not appear. Thats the way it works in computers, physX is just that, its not the end, or the beginning, its the evolution. Advanced physics is not going away, its gonna bring our games to the next level, and it is currently in its infancy. But no one is gonna stop it, and it could end up in anybodies plate right now.

So dont limit yourself, you dont have to buy an nvidia GPU, I think ATI has done a wonderful job, I am glad to see them giving nvidia hell these last few rounds. But you dont have to have a powerful nvida card for PHysX, and you dont have to spend a lot. Its wonderful to see pcs do more and more. and thats what i am gonna do. No matter who gets what or does what, i am gonna play the most advanced games that are out, and i am gonna see PCs do more and more things till i die. I am excited at this direction. Dont sell your nvidia physX card just yet, its not hurting anything.

As far as i can give advice to anyone its-dont hate any, or be a brainless fanboy. get the most out of your pc , the money you spend, and dont get lost in the politics.

Edited by ocre

i was called fan boy too ...:lol: (wacko)

First, it's Waco.

Second, you were being one...but you flip from the red to green team so often it's impossible to keep track of which camp you're in for the day. :lol:

Everyone is saying HavoK will take over and crush physX

Not many are saying that (and certainly not everyone). If Havok uses an open language I think it will succeed. If nVidia ports PhysX to an open language first it will probably win out. It's really just a matter of who releases and implementation to market that will work on nearly any card first.

If I had a second PCIe slot I'd be throwing an 8800GT in my rig to play games with PhysX. I can't stand how poorly Mirror's Edge and Darkest of Days run (and look) without PhysX. I've heard the new Batman game is similar but I have yet to play it.

Edited by Waco

First, it's Waco.

Second, you were being one...but you flip from the red to green team so often it's impossible to keep track of which camp you're in for the day. :lol:

Not many are saying that (and certainly not everyone). If Havok uses an open language I think it will succeed. If nVidia ports PhysX to an open language first it will probably win out. It's really just a matter of who releases and implementation to market that will work on nearly any card first.

If I had a second PCIe slot I'd be throwing an 8800GT in my rig to play games with PhysX. I can't stand how poorly Mirror's Edge and Darkest of Days run (and look) without PhysX. I've heard the new Batman game is similar but I have yet to play it.

So far Mirror's Edge is impossible to get the combo physx setup to work correctly but I'm crossing my fingers on the newer physx titles

That's disheartening. :(

I know, it's making me worry about the newer titles. But I am also hopeful in a way because I ran the "Nurien Demo" and "Fluidmark" physx demonstrations and both work great. I just think that Mirror's Edge was before they decided to enable the option for second supporting physx card. It probably only looks at the first card for physx.