ATi card with Nvidia card for physx

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

personally i still like either ati making their equivalent, or them making a ppu's(physics proccesor units :D) that run similarly taking up similar processes

It is really stupid they dont. well its was supposed to be where any nvidia card could be used as a ppu, they are messing it up. I still think its retardation, i mean literally.

So far Mirror's Edge is impossible to get the combo physx setup to work correctly but I'm crossing my fingers on the newer physx titles

that reallly sux!

there is a darkest days demo here

it should let you know if the physX will work, i dont know for sure. As far as darkest days goes, its actually okay. i still think physX has got a long way to go, but it is much better then mirrors edge effects. let us know if you can ever get your ATI/physX combo to work or not. I know another person says it works fine, but he never said he tested mirrors edge.

that reallly sux!

there is a darkest days demo here

it should let you know if the physX will work, i dont know for sure. As far as darkest days goes, its actually okay. i still think physX has got a long way to go, but it is much better then mirrors edge effects. let us know if you can ever get your ATI/physX combo to work or not. I know another person says it works fine, but he never said he tested mirrors edge.

Will do, my friend just bought it so I'll bum it off of him ;). Thanks for the link though. I want to play it regardless of physx, since it looks pretty awesome all on it's own.

And I totally am with you in hating nvidia for that sleezy move of disabling physx post 185 drivers, they're so immature and yet we're the one's to pay. (well the uninformed ones anyway :P, I feel bad for the large portion of the public) I wonder if they built the work around on purpose so that enthusiasts could still be happy??

Edited by IVIYTH0S

i wonder if they realize they lost a portion of their market with that move (every ATI fanboy)

and now ATI has to deal with three people moaning to get them to make an equivalent

I guess they don't care as long as ATI doesn't get the business for their high end cards while nvidia only sells their lower cards for physx. Greedy b-tards

i wonder if they realize they lost a portion of their market with that move (every ATI fanboy)

and now ATI has to deal with three people moaning to get them to make an equivalent

I doubt ATI will come out with an equivalent, well at least not a stand alone physics for ATI only. there will be a solution sooner or later. ATI may even one day decide to take Nvidia up on their offer, highly doubtful but a possibility no matter how unlikely. This boycot of ATI is mostly self made, they may see the pressure and decide to take the offer. But then it could drag out to the point where physX gets threaten by an openCL physics alternative, they may release physX in an openCL version. But that is the last thing they want to do, not while physX is benefiting them well.

But i think peeps are taking it too hard, No one has to spend a lot. there are deals like this all the time

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...82E16814121320R

pay $38 for a card that can do physX and not think much more about it. hopefully IVI isnt gonna have too much trouble with his combo. as far as ATI/physX combos go, i heard it works well with the older Nvidia drivers with updated physX part. Its just that there is gonna be a few good physX releases in the future, and i dont think ATI users should feel left out, or even have to buy into nvidia, i dont see why anyone should be forced. As far as 38bucks for an open box, i dont see that as a hindrance, its dirt cheap and it should work well.

Will do, my friend just bought it so I'll bum it off of him ;). Thanks for the link though. I want to play it regardless of physx, since it looks pretty awesome all on it's own.

And I totally am with you in hating nvidia for that sleezy move of disabling physx post 185 drivers, they're so immature and yet we're the one's to pay. (well the uninformed ones anyway :P, I feel bad for the large portion of the public) I wonder if they built the work around on purpose so that enthusiasts could still be happy??

Darkest of Days is pretty neat. Its extremely different from many games i have played, even shooters. Its pretty weird, i mean the look and feel, the engine, its new. It runs really well. The game starts immediately when you click the icon, bam the menu comes up without any logos or waits, you load the game like that in a snap. That in itself is unique these days. When i say a snap i mean fast. The graphics arent what you think, or at least what i thought. There is some very good candy, but at the same time its got a cheap kinda feel at places. while there is extremely good graphics, there are some ugly spots. It isnt bad, just a different style all together. I read someone said it was openGL, so that could be the case, I dont know if it is or DX9, but it is different then anything out.

Its not a shooter like your used to, its a war and there are many ppl on your side, you dont have to do much in the way you would in other shooters, you have other purposes to be there, and you are constintly reminded "dont be a hero, just get in and out". Its a good direction, i think there is just a feel to it that makes you feel fresh, but its not all the graphics, its a little bit of everything. Now I must say, with physX off it does seem a little plain, some places just are anyway. I live in TN, in the woods, and they have captured this area very very well. Its plain, not exotic. The physX adds to this rather boring landscape, and it seems the game was surrounded around physX, some places just are too plain without it. Its still not a must have, just an additive. But so is AA and AF, but who is satisfied without any AA these days? in this game physX is up a notch. I really hope it works for you to see.

If anyone else wants to know, i can play all maxed to very high, aa 4x, af 16 and physX high with a gtx 260 216 at 1680X1050 with no problems what so ever, But i hover 30fps and thats it. But this is one of those games that 30fps is smooth as butter, no skipping, no jiggles, no shuddering. with a card just for physX one should be able to easily achieve much higher fps.

I would say its just so different, i mean the overall feel when playing it. That alone is a breath of fresh air. Its hard to explain. But its by far not the best looking or even the best effects of any game. it comes together nicely as far as eye candy goes. But the engine is just great, there is a lot going on, many many soldiers at once. its so smooth

Edited by ocre

I agree, Darkest of Days is a good game so far in my opinion. I'm playing it without PhysX and the storyline is good enough to keep me playing. I'm also shocked at how fast it loads. I'm not sure how they managed this loading feat but I hope they let on so other developers can follow suit.

I agree, Darkest of Days is a good game so far in my opinion. I'm playing it without PhysX and the storyline is good enough to keep me playing. I'm also shocked at how fast it loads. I'm not sure how they managed this loading feat but I hope they let on so other developers can follow suit.

dang (joe dirt style)! you already got a 5870!

whats the benchmark like without physX on darkest days?

I wonder if vista will ever allow dual video cards (ati and nvidia) like windows 7. probably not, there is gonna have to be a buncha windows 7 advantages over vista to try and pull in more sales. Its commin, M$ is gonna start the pressure eventually. I really like vista, I never even upgraded to 64 yet, its just ran so good for me, since day one. I wanted to go 64, i just hate letting go :wub:

edit:

i found this... vista to windows 7 free LOL!!!

Edited by ocre

well i think Darkest days may actually be openGL after all. I enable triple buffering in the nvidia control panel and all the tearing seemed to stop. the in game vsync just seem to cause too much lag for me, it is actually the only game i have ever thought this about. I am firm believer on vsync, i cant stand tearing. But i just didnt like the vsync in darkest days, i really felt like i could feel the lag, i gues i was into it so much that millisecond delay got on my nerves.

But--

the driver based triple buffering works out well. very very well. It should only work with openGL, that is the case, and i would say darkest of days is openGL.

On another note i ran fraps while triple buffed with the setting mentioned above and my fps is 40 to 55 usually always. Before i was goin by the in game benchmark but now fraps during the game gives me usually at least 40-50, barely dips below, but still super smooth as silk. well written engine.

This is a fun game!!! And triple buffering via control panel works wonderfully on it.

You should be able to enable it with an ATI card as well

Edited by ocre