Nephews old cmputer

My nephew brought me his girlfriend's old computer. It a Compaq and it has a AMD Athlon 2900+, and it has PC 2700 512 stick memory in it. Well, I have 2x512 of PC3200 setting around not being used and was wondering if I can use it in place of the 2700. If was up to me i would throw it in the trash. But times being what they are....Grateful for your help.

Yes, as long as it fits in the slot it will work.

:)

If the motherboard can run at PC3200 speeds then it will do it, if not then it will just run at the highest speeds it can.

I will throw it in there. Its got to be better than what it doing now. Some how I have become the "family" computer repair guy. I wouldn't mind so much if the computers they have was not so old. Ha ha. Thank you Andrew for your time and knowlegde.

Why throw it in the trash! If it does everything she needs then surely that's all that matters? ;)

Yes you can use the PC3200 memory, I think, and correct me if I'm wrong it runs at 400MHz which is more suited to the processor?

Cheers

Paul

Why throw it in the trash! If it does everything she needs then surely that's all that matters? ;)

Yes you can use the PC3200 memory, I think, and correct me if I'm wrong it runs at 400MHz which is more suited to the processor?

Cheers

Paul

shouldn't be a problem. depending on the motherboard it could use fully adjustable or use dipswitches and jumpers. but, it should run a 200 bus speed no problem. my old nf2 chipset board could run up to 242 before it wouldnt boot anymore, and that was wayyy out of spec so i would bet it would work just fine. even if underclocked the memory should be fine. pc3200 stuff is very flexibile.

Some how I have become the "family" computer repair guy.

Ha ha, I'll bet most here can relate to that :P The best part is you get to work for free!

Ha ha again, you're showing your age, old timer. I couldn't agree more. It's easy to lose sight of it here amongst extreme gamers and overclockers, but for the vast majority of computer users, computers passed redundancy in both speed and storage 5 years ago. :lol: