MuAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

shiver_8

You're heatsink must be crappy then, because at 1.52 vcore load in windows running intel burn test I am at 79 degrees, which for air is amazing. However that voltage is only for benching, not 24/7. Max I go 24/7 is 1.45. Also just so you know the cpu runs alot hotter when I run a high fsb compared to the same cpu speed with a lower fsb and higher multi, sometimes the difference is 8-10 degrees. And I read a whole article on the reference voltages, and I don't even need to touch the fsb voltage I leave it at stock. The ref voltages are the main adjustment to get the fsb frequency stable and the actual fsb voltage is for the final tweaking. I just got in windows at 1.2v fsb and 0.7v mch ref at 585x9, its just the memory is super unstable and p45 won't go any lower than 1:1. Oh well. I'm gonna go for 550x8 as that will run my ram at 1100mhz 1:1 and it will be a decent speed for the cpu, while keeping the vcore down.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're heatsink must be crappy then, because at 1.52 vcore load in windows running intel burn test I am at 79 degrees, which for air is amazing. However that voltage is only for benching, not 24/7. Max I go 24/7 is 1.45. Also just so you know the cpu runs alot hotter when I run a high fsb compared to the same cpu speed with a lower fsb and higher multi, sometimes the difference is 8-10 degrees. And I read a whole article on the reference voltages, and I don't even need to touch the fsb voltage I leave it at stock. The ref voltages are the main adjustment to get the fsb frequency stable and the actual fsb voltage is for the final tweaking. I just got in windows at 1.2v fsb and 0.7v mch ref at 585x9, its just the memory is super unstable and p45 won't go any lower than 1:1. Oh well. I'm gonna go for 550x8 as that will run my ram at 1100mhz 1:1 and it will be a decent speed for the cpu, while keeping the vcore down.

It was far from crappy, I know my way around a decent air cooling setup. It doesn't get much better then a TRUE 120 with two high cfm fans in push/pull. In my case they were 38mm thick Delta SHE tri-blades, 142cfm each. If you think you are only 79* at 4.5ghz and 1.52vcore you are sorely mistaken...my chip hit mid 70s at that mhz with quite a bit less vcore.

FWIW My 45nm wolfy did 4.5ghz at 1.35v and 4.2ghz at stock voltage when I got it. After a short burn in every prior OC needed .025v more for the same clocks to stay stable. Now I keep it at 4.3ghz and 1.35v for 100% stability 24/7. Your chip is overvolted and I can promise you it won't live long at those voltages on air. I was toying with these chips when they were just released and they were dying left and right from being overvolted. Praz' second picture is close to identical to my 24/7 settings.

It was far from crappy, I know my way around a decent air cooling setup. It doesn't get much better then a TRUE 120 with two high cfm fans in push/pull. In my case they were 38mm thick Delta SHE tri-blades, 142cfm each. If you think you are only 79* at 4.5ghz and 1.52vcore you are sorely mistaken...my chip hit mid 70s at that mhz with quite a bit less vcore.

FWIW My 45nm wolfy did 4.5ghz at 1.35v and 4.2ghz at stock voltage when I got it. After a short burn in every prior OC needed .025v more for the same clocks to stay stable. Now I keep it at 4.3ghz and 1.35v for 100% stability 24/7. Your chip is overvolted and I can promise you it won't live long at those voltages on air. I was toying with these chips when they were just released and they were dying left and right from being overvolted. Praz' second picture is close to identical to my 24/7 settings.

Well I know that I'm not mistaken, because that's what it was. It may have helped having a 10C air from outside coming into the case (my pc is on a large window sill) but that's what my temp is. Also I have seen guys running their wolfdales at 1.6v 24/7 with no sign of degrading over a year later. I never take my cpu past 1.45v for 24/7 use, just because I don't feel it's necessary. You have a great chip there, you don't need much voltage to get higher speeds. Past 4ghz I need alot more alot faster, that's just how it is.

You're heatsink must be crappy then, because at 1.52 vcore load in windows running intel burn test I am at 79 degrees, which for air is amazing.

I'd still say those temps are to high!

When I run my quad at 4.5GHz I need 1.504v vcore, and during a one hour stress test with OCCT, my temps only get to 58c , highest core temp. Thats with an X48 chipset. With my P45 chipset board, it takes much less vcore to achieve the same GHz.

I also do a lot of benchmarking.

So I'm just saying that if your reaching 78c under full load, you need a better cpu cooler!

If you really want to push your vcore, you might want to think about going with water cooling.

You may be able to drop from that (vcore) 1.52 volts, if you do a little tweaking with your cpu pll voltage, your northbridge voltage, your FSB VTT (if you have that setting in your bios), and try upping your DIMM voltage setting a little.

Good luck!

I do not understand this thread. The Phenom II got to 6.4 or more ghz and was stable, what are you trying to get at in this thread?

Did you really just compare a Wolfdale on AIR overclocked by someone here to a Phenom II on liquid helium overclocked by one of the best in the world? Wow. I don't even know what to say about that.

When I run my quad at 4.5GHz I need 1.504v vcore, and during a one hour stress test with OCCT, my temps only get to 58c , highest core temp.

If you're running a TRUE (even lapped) your temperature sensor has got to be WAY off. My cooler isn't *that* much worse than a TRUE and I hit high 70s at 1.4 vcore at 3.33 GHz using Linpack. Even with a 45 nm chip your temps should be MUCH higher than that.

Edited by Waco

:D LOL @ 4.5ghz 1.504v = 58C. That is the biggest BS I've ever heard, no offense. A quad at 1.45v should make more heat than a dual at 1.52v, nevermind 1.504! And for the 4th time this is not a 24/7 voltage I'm running, it is completely for benching! I never run over 1.45v for 24/7 which usually equates to 72C (Intel's heat limit spec) while running intel burn test. And also if anyone would like to lend me a dice/ln2 pot I'd be glad to go for a world record OC :thumbs-up: lol