What can be done with a 2,4 Intel Core Quad?

CCCA

yes i have one tip....listen to that guy up there ^^verran^^ cuz he know what he's talking about. he gave you a couple of really good suggestions already when he said the p45 gigabyte boards would be a great match for your q6600

yes asus boards will work fine but if you want to get the most out of your cpu the gigabytes are the way to get it

ive built several asus machines, a couple of biostars and an intel not to mention many upgrades for friends and family but so far i haven't been able to match specs with the gigabyte machines clock for clock.

so if you have that ability to follow his suggestions then its in your interest to try it...

cya

cj

:D

Thanks Cjloki,

I forgot about the Gigabite boards, however I can find the exact board he recommend,

what I can find is:

Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6

LGA775, Intel P45, PCI Express 2.0, ATX

Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS5

LGA775, Intel P45, PCI Express 2.0 , ATX

Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6

LGA775, Intel P965, ATX

Gigabyte GA-8ANXP-D

LGA775, Intel 925X, ATX

Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 (rev. 1.3)

LGA775, Intel X48, PCI Express 2.0, ATX

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P

Gigabyte GA-EP45T-UD3P

LGA775, Intel P45, ATX

Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4

LGA775, Intel P35, PCI Express 2.0 , ATX

Gigabyte GA-EP45C-DS3R

Gigabyte GA-EP45T-Extreme

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R

Gigabyte GA-EG45M-UD2H

LGA775, Intel G45, PCI Express 2.0 , MicroATX

I will do the order tomorrow, but I am still not 101% sure what to order.

Also yes I know that he game me a link to the boards, however I would like to order everything from the same site,

also a Norwegian site.

Again thanks for your reply.

FROM

CCCA

I would certainly not recommend spending the full $1500 on this. That's way too much. You could buy a brand new complete system with either an Intel i7 or an AMD PhenomII for that money (which would perform WAY better).

I would buy these parts:

Gigabyte EP45-UD3P Motherboard (because you can't find the other two)

OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU

Xigmatec Dark Knight Cooler

Then for memory, I'd go with either one of these:

G.Skill Pi 2x2GB DDR2-800 4-4-4-12 (1.8v - 1.9v)

G.Skill Trident 2x2GB DDR2-1066 5-5-5-15 (1.8v)

Personally, I'd go with the Pi set (800) because the tighter timings will help more than the higher clock speed but the Trident (1066) is a bit more future-proof, but only if your next build is also DDR2, which I think is fairly unlikely.

If you're looking for a 775 motherboard I highly recommend the Gigabyte EP-45-UD3P. It is an excellent board for the price and allows true Crossfire X with 2 PCI Express 2.0 cards running in 8x/8x mode. Never used a Q6600 in mine, but it overclocks my Q9550 to 3.83 GHz with little problem and paltry voltages. While I'm sure the Q6600 will be a completely different beast as far as overclocking, the board makes a nice platform to push the chip. Just my two cents.

I would certainly not recommend spending the full $1500 on this. That's way too much. You could buy a brand new complete system with either an Intel i7 or an AMD PhenomII for that money (which would perform WAY better).

I would buy these parts:

Gigabyte EP45-UD3P Motherboard (because you can't find the other two)

OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU

Xigmatec Dark Knight Cooler

Then for memory, I'd go with either one of these:

G.Skill Pi 2x2GB DDR2-800 4-4-4-12 (1.8v - 1.9v)

G.Skill Trident 2x2GB DDR2-1066 5-5-5-15 (1.8v)

Personally, I'd go with the Pi set (800) because the tighter timings will help more than the higher clock speed but the Trident (1066) is a bit more future-proof, but only if your next build is also DDR2, which I think is fairly unlikely.

Thanks again,

I will figure out what to do now,

however whats bad is that all items I want are from different sites,

that means more shipping costs, and that is close to the price for each of this items :)

However I will see what I can manage :)

Thanks again

Edited by CCCA

I've heard a few bad things about OCZ power supplies, but I'm aware that they also make a few quality units.

that power supply is pretty good , i have one , haven't had any problems with it

I've heard a few bad things about OCZ power supplies, but I'm aware that they also make a few quality units.

I agree. The GameXStream was not my first choice. I would prefer a PCP&C unit, but they're currently not running any mail in rebates so the prices aren't very competitive :( The same is true for the Corsair units. All of the deals listed expire tomorrow, so I was skeptical of listing those.

But if you can find them in your stores in your country for decent prices, you may want to look for a PC Power & Cooling 750W Silencer PSU or something from the Corsair lineup (like the 750TX).

If you get a board with SLI support you can upgrade the graphics at a later stage and still use the 8800 as a PhysX card.

I have just replaced my HiPower 1000W PSU with a PC Power & Cooling 750W Silencer PSU because I fried it with the crossfire.

I have learn't my lesson "Get a quality PSU" everytime.

Pushing the Q6600 to 3Gig was the easiest OC I have done to date. It loves it.