5870 price range

N.E.A

Hm? While they didn't have the perfomance crown I can't exactly hate them for being #2. I liked my 2900XT and most people with 3870s liked them too.

I'm also talking about driver and crossfire improvements.

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9800 Pro's FTW, I sold mine to a friend last year. It's still running strong if I'm not mistaken :thumbs-up:. (the kicker is that it still outperformed my old laptop's 8400M GS in spore lol)

The 9800 Pro was a good card. I don't remember what I did with it. Probably sold it.

If I opt for a pair of 5870x2s in the future(probably will) I'll likely keep the pair of 5870s in a secondary rig as the idle power is so low I can justify keeping them in a backup gaming machine. I may hang on to them for some time. I never know though something new and shiny will probably catch my eye. The idea of having the top of the line from ATI in one rig and the top of the line from nvidia in another may be the path I chose.

The 9800 Pro was a good card. I don't remember what I did with it. Probably sold it.

If I opt for a pair of 5870x2s in the future(probably will) I'll likely keep the pair of 5870s in a secondary rig as the idle power is so low I can justify keeping them in a backup gaming machine. I may hang on to them for some time. I never know though something new and shiny will probably catch my eye. The idea of having the top of the line from ATI in one rig and the top of the line from nvidia in another may be the path I chose.

I'll gladly take the 5870 off your hands :thumbs-up:, my performance would be roughly the same but my carbon foot print would be much lower

If you were actually concerned about that you'd turn on speedstep on your CPU. :P

it is on lol but it doesn't matter since my FSB is so high, it only downsteps to 3.0ghz at idle. and obviously when I'm folding it runs at full speed anyway. but for the brief seconds where I turn off folding to game, I'm 1.0ghz more efficient (I'll have to get back to ya on the voltage saved, I may tune down the 3.0ghz multi setting's voltage manually since I guarantee it's probably running too much) 4.0ghz is at the lowest vcore I could set.

Edited by IVIYTH0S

it is on lol but it doesn't matter since my FSB is so high, it only downsteps to 3.0ghz at idle. and obviously when I'm folding it runs at full speed anyway. but for the brief seconds where I turn off folding to game, I'm 1.0ghz more efficient (I'll have to get back to ya on the voltage saved, I may tune down the 3.0ghz multi setting's voltage manually since I guarantee it's probably running too much) 4.0ghz is at the lowest vcore I could set.

one question , when you are folding is not the gpu the one who is doing the work since it has ati stream /nvidia cuda ..?

why the cpu speed increase while the gpu is doing all the work ...?

i know these are silly questions ..:P

one question , when you are folding is not the gpu the one who is doing the work since it has ati stream /nvidia cuda ..?

why the cpu speed increase while the gpu is doing all the work ...?

i know these are silly questions ..:P

i don't know for sure, but i'm pretty sure it works both, someone else correct me if i'm wrong, but i'd imagine if it doesn't work both the gpu and cpu, it's not making good use of an idle comp which usually isn't being put on much load normally

if it was the gpu i'd imagine it not being so great to have done on PS3s