i7 build for less than 800

WReXSTi

I am putting together a i7 computer for less than 800 after mail in rebates. Here are the parts that I got.

Processor = i7 - Microcenter - $200+tax

Motherboard = ASUS P6T - ewiz.com - $175AR + $15 cash back

PSU = 700W ModXStream - Zipzoomfly.com - $50 AR

Video Card = Sapphire HD4870 100259L - ewiz.com - $115 AR + $3 cash back

Case = Cooler Master Storm Scout - Microcenter - $88+tax

RAM = Still looking... (3GB at least)

Hard Drive = Still looking... (500GB at least)

DVD Drive = HP dvd1035i - FREE

Total = $653 without RAM and Hard Drive. Budget is ~$750

Is this computer good? Any comments or suggestions? Any deals on RAM/Hard Drive?

Edited by WReXSTi

I think newegg is having a hard drive sale right now.

Here's a 500GB 7200.12 for $54:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822148395

Thanks I ordered that =) and i also had $25 credit for a price guarantee newegg gave me so its a 29 dollar HD =).

EDIT: Is this RAM a good deal?

Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 3GB - Amazon

Edited by WReXSTi

eh I'd get 6GB of memory if I were you, if you are going i7, then do it right :D

Thanks for the heads up but I barely use 4GB ram on my other computer. and 6GB RAM is outta my price range unless someone is giving me it for 50 dollars...

I am putting together a i7 computer for less than 800 after mail in rebates. Here are the parts that I got.

Total = $653 without RAM and Hard Drive. Budget is ~$750

You were at $653 without hard drive and memory. You added the hard drive for $29 after the Newegg.com price guarantee brining the total to $682.

You wanted to stay less than $800 after rebates in your first line, then later said your budget was ~$750.

So, you either have $68, or $118, to work with depending on which budget you want us to follow.

Spurge and get these, it would be worth it - Patriot Viper 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model PVT36G1333ELK - Retail - $75.99 after rebate with free shipping.

You'd be $8 over your $750 budget, but $42 under your $800 goal after rebates!

Edited by pkilway

You were at $653 without hard drive and memory. You added the hard drive for $29 after the Newegg.com price guarantee brining the total to $682.

You wanted to stay less than $800 after rebates in your first line, then later said your budget was ~$750.

So, you either have $68, or $118, to work with depending on which budget you want us to follow.

Spurge and get these, it would be worth it - Patriot Viper 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model PVT36G1333ELK - Retail - $75.99 after rebate with free shipping.

You'd be $8 over your $750 budget, but $42 under your $800 goal after rebates!

Sorry about the confusion and my budget is 800 before rebates and 750 after. And thanks for finding this but i dont have a 64bit OS (i only have XP 32Bit, next OS will be Windows 7 64bit and my computer will only use 3GB if I am right.)

EDIT: Is the Antec Nine Hundred better than the Cooler Master Storm Scout?

Edited by WReXSTi

Why not install just 2x2Gb sticks when using Win XP 32, then when you upgrade to Win 7 64 install the other stick?

Edit: I verified by reading the on-line mobo manual that you can use 2 ram sticks, in the DIMM_A1 and DIMM_B1 slots.

Edited by pkilway

Sorry about the confusion and my budget is 800 before rebates and 750 after. And thanks for finding this but i dont have a 64bit OS (i only have XP 32Bit, next OS will be Windows 7 64bit and my computer will only use 3GB if I am right.)

EDIT: Is the Antec Nine Hundred better than the Cooler Master Storm Scout?

If you plan to upgrade to the 64-bit soon, get the Patriot RAM that was suggested. It's not worth buying 3GB now, and then another 3GB later. It will cost more in the end. Even the cheapest 3GB kit is $45, which would cost you $90 if you added 3GB more later. So by forking over $30 extra now, you save $15 later. While the 32-bit can only use ~3 - 3.5GB, it would be worth having the 6GB with the 64-bit.

As for the cases, it's mainly a matter of personal preference. I think the 900 might cool better, but the Storm has more drive bays and is blacked out. It's really a matter of what you want the case to look like. There most likely wouldn't be much of a noticeable difference between the two.

Motherboard = ASUS P6T - ewiz.com - $175AR + $15 cash back

Could you possibly link the coupon/deal to get the P6T for that price? The only deal I could find close to that price was the "SE" version. Thanks

Don't you think an AMD Phenom II system would suit your budget? I'ms ure you could sqeeze in there a X4 955/4890/2X2GB build.

And be careful with those rebates, half of the time you will never get them back lol

Edited by damian