Starcraft 2 : No LAN

thebridgerofdoom

If you play LAN, your stuff won't even be saved for online play. There's no way in hell you're going to never play online.

And I find it funny how you own two battlechests and call them warchests.

I don't play diablo 2 online though, if I did then my characters would just be deleted anyway because I wouldn't play it enough, any character you use in LAN can be used in single player, that is why I play LAN, it's still multiplayer but I don't have my characters being deleted for no reason. Who really cares what they are called? It's a box containing all of the games, that is what these kind of names mean, doesn't matter what I call it because you will still know what I'm talking about and you proved that.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

100% Serious. The only reason to play over the LAN is to be able to use one CD Key for multiple people. Otherwise there's no reason not to use B.Net.

Unless you like playing on LAN because the ping is so much lower when playing with 4 people on the same connection.

If you play LAN, your stuff won't even be saved for online play. There's no way in hell you're going to never play online.

I've never played on B.Net and always play offline.

Wow, so much to catch up on and respond to here. Let's get started...

I don't know about blizzard but I would add LAN for 100k people out of millions, I mean how can it hurt to add something that would end up in the game anyway?

If you would have read this whole thread, you would know exactly "how it can hurt". They gave their reasoning and they said it was to prevent piracy. By requiring every single multi-player game played to pass through b.net, they can have MUCH more control over validating game keys and stomping out piracy.

They've already presented their logic on this matter, so why are you trying to put a different one in its place?

I don't think any of those points change the fact that they will lose money by doing this

Blizzard has already explained that they believe they will lose money by NOT doing this.

LAN play in a Diablo game is completely moronic.

Now that you've called me moronic I'd like to reply in kind, but I won't. However, I think this statement is completely wrong.

100% Serious. The only reason to play over the LAN is to be able to use one CD Key for multiple people. Otherwise there's no reason not to use B.Net.

B.net increases lag. Also, a lot of people don't care about the "features" of b.net. One of those people is me, as I never once played a Diablo character through b.net.

I think "no way in hell" is a tad strong, considering that I played the crap out of D2 both single player and LAN and never ONCE played online through b.net. I think you guys are just projecting your own usages onto others. "Well if that's what I do, that must be what EVERYONE does..."

Unless you like playing on LAN because the ping is so much lower when playing with 4 people on the same connection.

I've never played on B.Net and always play offline.

+1 and +1

I can understand playing offline for hardcore characters just to be "safe", but unless you're on dial-up, I fail to see any reason not to use B.Net, even when playing with friends.

The only time I played an offline character was when I wanted to cheat and use whatever program that is that can create and give items.

Was I reading corrctly that you need to be connected to the internet to even install the game?

I can understand playing offline for hardcore characters just to be "safe", but unless you're on dial-up, I fail to see any reason not to use B.Net, even when playing with friends.

The only time I played an offline character was when I wanted to cheat and use whatever program that is that can create and give items.

I'm the opposite, I very rarely use B.net in fact most of my gameplay is single player.

Was I reading corrctly that you need to be connected to the internet to even install the game?

From what I gathered from the panel on b.net, I'm not sure about installing, but when launching the game, you log into b.net before you can even access the single player modes.

I'm the opposite, I very rarely use B.net in fact most of my gameplay is single player.

Same here. I really had no reason TO use b.net, so I didn't. It was just easier for me and my four roommates to just load up a LAN game. And when playing single, I never had any desire to have my character "online". In fact, to this day, I don't even know how to do that because I never have. I never used b.net for D2 a single solitary time. As for SC1, I used b.net a handful of times, but almost always played LAN games with the roommates. I've maybe played 10 b.net matches of SC1 in my life.

From what I gathered from the panel on b.net, I'm not sure about installing, but when launching the game, you log into b.net before you can even access the single player modes.

If it's true, I bet you can guess how I feel about this...

Awesome. Since you can't seem to grasp the multitude of reasons why we think this is important perhaps you should just stop posting about how you think we're idiotic. :rolleyes:

That's yet another reason I'll wait till it's cracked before I buy.

Same here. I really had no reason TO use b.net, so I didn't. It was just easier for me and my four roommates to just load up a LAN game. And when playing single, I never had any desire to have my character "online". In fact, to this day, I don't even know how to do that because I never have. I never used b.net for D2 a single solitary time. As for SC1, I used b.net a handful of times, but almost always played LAN games with the roommates. I've maybe played 10 b.net matches of SC1 in my life.

+...100? :lol:

:rolleyes: Instead of ignoring the question at hand why don't you try to address what we feel is wrong with it?

Sorry if I missed it, but where did you ask a question?

And sorry if it came out wrong, but what I meant by "welcome to the 21st century" is that we're living in a different day and age than 10 years ago when SC1 came out. Realize that the Internet is going to remain prevalent in PC gaming whether we like it or not.

I think what you were saying with that comment was "I don't have a problem with it, so you shouldn't either." After all, that's pretty much been your stance all along. You've basically just been saying that you play a certain way and you can't understand why anyone would play differently (and rather condescendingly and even insultingly at times). You think that because you're fine with it, everyone else should be.

Fine. Whatever. But it's not a constructive addition to the discussion. Dismissing someone's opinion simply because it doesn't match yours isn't really a useful stance.

And just because "the internet is here to stay" doesn't mean we have to stand for unnecessary and overbearing DRM. THAT is what we're talking about, after all. Your internet comment, again, fails to really constructively address the situation, unless you feel that the presence of the internet dictates that all games should dial home when you start them. To me, I don't see the connection there.