Starcraft 2 : No LAN

thebridgerofdoom

1. No gamer, but what are internet outages (lol)?

2. "To prevent piracy."

3. Uhh, lag? Don't connect to servers in China and you'll be fine.

1. leave. don't come back... :closedeyes:
  2. So something should have a burdening regulation put on it because it has the potential for abuse, we've got enough people punishing law abiding citizens for others actions as it is...
  3. Whether it is noticeable or not there will be latency issues.

Another thing I just thought of, not everyone can afford todays standards of high speed internet.

Its pretty easy to saturate a 1mb line with an online game going (just one instance mind you), a few people browsing random things and a few youtube vids.

Now take into account that you have to run TWO of the games (or more depending on how many you are faux-LANing with) which is 2x the bandwith usage just to connect to someone on the same property.

Yea that makes sense...

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. No gamer, but what are internet outages (lol)?

2. "To prevent piracy."

3. Uhh, lag? Don't connect to servers in China and you'll be fine.

Think about what you just wrote for a few minutes then get back to us.

It's beyond pointless to punish honest users in the name of preventing piracy when it won't prevent ANYTHING. Try to name one game in the past that hasn't been cracked within a few weeks of release...

I'll wait till it's cracked before I buy so I can play it like it was supposed to be played.

1. leave. don't come back... :closedeyes:
  2. So something should have a burdening regulation put on it because it has the potential for abuse, we've got enough people punishing law abiding citizens for others actions as it is...
  3. Whether it is noticeable or not there will be latency issues.

Another thing I just thought of, not everyone can afford todays standards of high speed internet.

Its pretty easy to saturate a 1mb line with an online game going (just one instance mind you), a few people browsing random things and a few youtube vids.

Now take into account that you have to run TWO of the games (or more depending on how many you are faux-LANing with) which is 2x the bandwith usage just to connect to someone on the same property.

Yea that makes sense...

The cheapest internet here ($30) is a 30mbit connection, which I have. And I've honestly never had an internet outage except for when it was first installed, (poor insulation around the cables from outside, but it was fixed for free). I mean, I've had power outages, but internet outages?

Also, maybe it's just me, but I find LAN gaming pointless, especially with the multitude of features given to us through internet gaming. Also, who invites a friend to their home to play LAN? I understand playing online with a buddy, but if you're meeting up in person, do something that's even more fun, not LAN...

If you connect to a server in your area, you're going to get 5ms ping or less (once again, based on the cheapest internet here).

Think about what you just wrote for a few minutes then get back to us.

It's beyond pointless to punish honest users in the name of preventing piracy when it won't prevent ANYTHING. Try to name one game in the past that hasn't been cracked within a few weeks of release...

I'll wait till it's cracked before I buy so I can play it like it was supposed to be played.

I agree that it's beyond pointless to punish users, but taking away LAN is hardly a punishment.

Also, if taking away LAN makes it even just a slight bit more difficult for people to crack the game, so be it.

Edited by tkrow21

The cheapest internet here ($30) is a 30mbit connection, which I have. And I've honestly never had an internet outage except for when it was first installed, (poor insulation around the cables from outside, but it was fixed for free). I mean, I've had power outages, but internet outages?

Also, maybe it's just me, but I find LAN gaming pointless, especially with the multitude of features given to us through internet gaming. Also, who invites a friend to their home to play LAN? I understand playing online with a buddy, but if you're meeting up in person, do something that's even more fun, not LAN...

If you connect to a server in your area, you're going to get 5ms ping or less (once again, based on the cheapest internet here).

I'm trying to come up with ways for you to be a bit more naive but I'm coming up short. :lol:

I agree that it's beyond pointless to punish users, but taking away LAN is hardly a punishment.

That's because you don't give a . about LAN play. Don't apply your standards (that don't exist) to everyone else.

Also, if taking away LAN makes it even just a slight bit more difficult for people to crack the game, so be it.
That's the point...it won't. It's inevitable.

Spend a few minutes thinking about this. Clearly you have not.

Edited by Waco

As I said, to this day, I still play SC over the LAN when I go to my friend's house...We've been doing that for 10+ years. Even so, I think everyone's making a bigger deal about this than it really is. Do I wish there was LAN play and Spawn copies? HELLS YEAH! Do I understand why there aren't plans for such? Absolutely.

Maybe I'm wrong in this assumption, but I don't think the people that create cracks and what not for games do it for any particular reason other than to be doing it, seems to me like blizzard is just adding another layer of fun to the process for the crackers.

Even so, I think everyone's making a bigger deal about this than it really is. Do I wish there was LAN play and Spawn copies? HELLS YEAH! Do I understand why there aren't plans for such? Absolutely.

Give them an inch...and they'll turn into EA. :P

Maybe I'm wrong in this assumption, but I don't think the people that create cracks and what not for games do it for any particular reason other than to be doing it, seems to me like blizzard is just adding another layer of fun to the process for the crackers.

Yep. Crackers compete to create the first/best/smallest crack. Adding more DRM just makes it more of a challenge and that much more of an accomplishment.

Edited by Waco

Well since you've never had an internet outage, I guess no one has. That's very sound logic. On another topic, I need to schedule a brain scan because now I know that all of my outages in the past were just in my head. I need to figure out why I've been making this stuff up.

I'll say this for the second time this thread: Apparently, you've never had roommates.

And again, I love your logic of how you not having a use for it means no one does.

... for you.

Yeah, now instead of cracking it at 3:17 on the day after launch, they'll crack it at 3:42 on the day after launch. Man, that makes it all worthwhile. I'll gladly give up one of my favorite features in the whole game for that... :rolleyes:

It's a preference thing, and we won't get any farther than a Mac vs. PC thread or a Console vs. PC thread.

I'm just trying to say that FOR ME, and FOR ME ONLY, this means nothing. I can understand why you would think otherwise FOR YOURSELF, but don't try to change my mind because the only roommate I've ever had was a brother a few years ago because we "weren't old enough for our own rooms", and according to you, I won't be able to understand the importance of LAN (your point, which I do agree with, just pointing out that arguing is pointless at this point. Lots of points).

I'M not angry because I find LAN a useless feature as I had never used it, and I cannot relate to this backlash of losing such a feature.

Edited by tkrow21