Opinions on my new rig please

new2thegame

I had the opportunity to build five computers and it allowed me to rake in rebates, package discounts and trade in credits. Being that we are now in the age of i7 chips, I understand that my system may be out dated, but for what I have, could you comment on

1) If you think I got a deal

2) What should I expect in my first attempt to OC

$580 bought me:

Intel E7400

EVGA 750i FTW Extreme

Two BFG GTX260 Maxcores

OCZ Fata1ity 4gb 1066mhz (running at 800mhz)

Corsair 850TX

Sniper Storm

500gb WD Caviar Black

500gb WD Green

150gb WD Raptor (this wasn't in the purchase, left over from years ago) Operating System

Thank you

I would think 260 SLI would be a bit much for an E7400 unless you're clocking it really high. Seems like you might be getting a substantial bottleneck from your CPU. For the price though, it's very impressive.

Thank you for the replies.

I am going to attempt to OC the E7400 and the mentions about the bottle neck, what is the suggested goal that I should try to attain while OC'ing the CPU?

With the mention of bottleneck, is it even worth the effort?

the 3mb l2 cache will hold you back, but aim for 4ghz+ with the cpu.

yeah its worth the effort. its a decent chip

Seems that I'm not giving my E8400 any justice at 3.8GHZ.

Seems that I'm not giving my E8400 any justice at 3.8GHZ.

nah, thats a decent result. note that i said 'aim' :P

i run my E7300 at 3.8 24/7, but it was stable at 4, thats where im coming from. i got lucky. :D

although further tweaking can never hurt *nudge nudge*

edit: seems we have the same motherboard and cooler too. our whole setups are pretty darn similar haha

I'm always confused when people ask what their goal should be for their OC. There's really only one right answer to that around here, and it's "as high as possible!" :P

My E7400 runs 4Ghz totally stable on air and will bench up around 4.5, so I don't have any problems with bottlenecking on two 4850s, but 260SLI is probably still going to see some bottleneck no matter how high that E7400 ends up going.