Upgrade ???

PaiN

Do you guys think it is worth upgrading now?....I'd be going from a BFG OC2 260(216) to a 295. (I'd also add, 4gb of RAM, because its cheap and a PSU which will last me through a few years)

but mostly on the vid card, should I get a 295 or are we too close to the launch of the next gen cards and a 295 will to soon be out dated?

thanks

Actually, i would recommend saving ur money and wait for the dx 11 cards to come out. then get two of those and sli. :rolleyes:

Don't expect a DX11 card from nVidia anytime soon.

You can expect DX10.1 though :lol:

ok....let's shift gears. If I upgrade to a GTX 295, how do you think my PSU(PC Power&Cooling 610 Silencer) will do with it? It only has two 6pin PCI-e plugs, so I'd have to use the included adapter, no big deal since this is a single rail 12V PSU.

I did an Extreme PSU calculation based on my system with a 295..its tells me at 85% utilization is 521watts and 100% utilization is 544watts...

Its well below my PSUs rating, but how's it going to work in the real world?

Edited by PaiN

ok....let's shift gears. If I upgrade to a GTX 295, how do you think my PSU(PC Power&Cooling 610 Silencer) will do with it? It only has two 6pin PCI-e plugs, so I'd have to use the included adapter, no big deal since this is a single rail 12V PSU.

I did an Extreme PSU calculation based on my system..its tells me at 85% utilization is 521watts and 100% utilization is 544watts...

Its well below my PSUs rating, but how's it going to work in the real world?

you should be just fine, the 295 is pretty power efficient all things considered... though I still say you should wait

you should be just fine, the 295 is pretty power efficient all things considered... though I still say you should wait

+1

Your 260 is just fine right now. OC a little if your having slight problems. Im not sure what could be stressing it enough to warrant the purchase of a 295.

Save your money and wait for the DX11 cards.

I haven't squeezed the trigger on this upgrade yet. You guys kidda got me off it atm... ;) It is true that my 260 plays everything great at 1920x1200, even Cryostatsis runs fine.

I usually do an upgrade for the fall gaming season....I was planning to do a full overhaul to an i7 this year......then sensibility kicked in, I know the i7 is faster but how much will I actually gain for all the headaches, money and work I'd have to go through??? Probably not much, this base system is a little old but its no slouch. So why not keep it for another season?? my thought is\was just plunk in a killer vid card and play the hell out of this years games.