these gfx cards any good?

thanks for all the help. well my budget was originally 250$ but i decided to lower it. I mean I dont have a strict budget its just I dont wanna spend a fortune. the ideal card would be around 150$ and be able to run crysis, farcry 2, CoD games, Aion etc...

From the Nvidia camp for less than $150 after rebate http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814127430

From the Ati camp less than $150 to start with and less than $130 after rebate http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814161268

These are both up to date GPUs and will pwn the 9600

Edited by spectrascope

this gets pretty close to a $150 budget after the rebate there, and if the original budget was $250 that card is going to be pretty hard to beat.

going from a 8500gt to that gtx 260 would be pretty astonishing to you assuming you have the rest of the hardware to really allow it to do it's thing.

9600gt is a good graphics card (used to have one), but if you plan to play at 1080p on a large screen it's probably not going to cut it...

the gtx 260 on the other hand should be more than enough.

edit: looks like the pny gtx 260 can be beat on price, if you can snag the msi one posted above in time before the sale ends.

also, at that resolution (and if it is on a large screen), the 4870 should be a much better choice than a 9600gt...

plus that price is right within the $150 budget.

would still go with the gtx 260 though, seeing as it has more memory than that 4870 model linked above and people have been complaining about ati driver support and cooling not being so good (although both should be fine from an enthusiast standpoint).

Edited by Maj0r Gamer

well this is my rig so far

Antec 900 case

700w rocketfish PSU

AMD Phenom 9500 Quad Core Processor 2.20GHz

3gb RAM (wanna add more but atm on 32 bit OS, wanting to get win 7 64bit)

and my gfx card is the nvidia geforce 8500GT

Acer 23 1080p inch monitor

Saitek Eclipse 2

Razer Diamondback 3G

if your curious to how the graphics card will work in it.

If you can spend the extra $30 I would upgrade to This. It comes with 2 free games and is clocked ridiculously high from the factory. I've been hearing people are having trouble hitting the same speeds in Rivatuner with stock clocked cards.

I would shy away from MSI if you can afford to. Just my .02 cents.

Edited by 9KRacing

If you can spend the extra $30 I would upgrade to This. It comes with 2 free games and is clocked ridiculously high from the factory. I've been hearing people are having trouble hitting the same speeds in Rivatuner with stock clocked cards.

I would shy away from MSI if you can afford to. Just my .02 cents.

I see one game (farcry2 sucks)

I vote for the MSI 260, no if's, and's or but's

I like the card 9KRacing posted. It's by XFX which is a good company and it's overclocked, plus it comes with 2 free games.

That 4870 is also a good card for the price. I currently run dual 4870 1GBs in my main rig. They hit 300+FPS with all settings maxed in CoD4. You should do well with a single 4870 512MB if you go that route. However, I'd get the 260 just for the driver support.

I like the card 9KRacing posted. It's by XFX which is a good company and it's overclocked, plus it comes with 2 free games.

That 4870 is also a good card for the price. I currently run dual 4870 1GBs in my main rig. They hit 300+FPS with all settings maxed in CoD4. You should do well with a single 4870 512MB if you go that route. However, I'd get the 260 just for the driver support.

The MSI is overclocked too, just a slight bit less then the black edition. Though for the price difference and ease of overclockin one's self, I see no reason to spend the extra money.

I mean come on... 100 dollars for such a measly more mhz, and that's making the wrong assumption that the msi doesn't have anymore headroom.

Edited by IVIYTH0S