Budget AMD computer

I understand Intel processors very well, but I'm not so good at picking out AMD so this is what I think I need help with. This is a budget computer for my mother I want to get her a dual core AMD x64. She'll be using the computer for, tons of photos, Internet, Microsoft Word/Excel/PowerPoint, basic usage really. Now I don't want to buy crap, but the budget is hopefully less than 200 bucks. She has an old computer I'm going to be using the case, PSU, CD/DVD, ect. I have some ddr2 pc 6400 4X1024 just hanging around that she can use. This is the motherboard I was thinking of http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813131324 or something like it. What Processor should I buy under 75 bucks? and could someone please give me a condensed description of the AMD x64 lineup? They have so many and they all just seem the same. o yeah OS is XPsp3

I built a rig for my sis with that mobo and an AMD 7750 with a 2x2gb kingston valueram kit, for basically the same purposes, and some mild gaming (guild wars). and it seems really solid so far, so either the 7750 or 7850 would be a good choice, just depends on what clock you want, 2.7ghz or 2.8ghz lol

AMD Athlon X2 7750

AMD Athlon X2 7850

Edited by fearspartan117

For a Christmas present, I helped my girlfriend build a computer for her mother. We used a 4850e X2 ($55) and a gigabyte 740G motherboard ($50). We also threw in a 420W PCP&C silencer ($50).

Very solid build for the money (and more power than is generally needed for simple usage). The e processors are low wattage (that processor is faster than mine...and half the wattage :lol:), but they can be kind of quirky with reading temperatures. You can go faster with the processor or fancier with the motherboard, but it really doesn't sound like it's needed. A new power supply would be a solid investment in the long term life of the computer :)

I think the new 7750 is around $50 right now. It's 2.7GHZ and AMD's new dual core :D

As for a condensed description uhh.... The higher the number the higher the frequency and the better performance. The Athlon X2's are dual core.

Is that what you wanted?

I suggest that you go for the 7750.

It can compete with the Intel E5200, and it's 10 bucks less.

The Kuma architecture is also based on the Phenom core, so it's better (?), I assume.

Guest ajmatson
I suggest that you go for the 7750.

It can compete with the Intel E5200, and it's 10 bucks less.

The Kuma architecture is also based on the Phenom core, so it's better (?), I assume.

Honsetly I would go for the 7850 BE. The multi is unlocked and all around a bit better than the 7750.

Honsetly I would go for the 7850 BE. The multi is unlocked and all around a bit better than the 7750.

The 7750 is a Black Edition, too, so it also has an unlocked multi... But I don't think he's going to be OCing his mom's internet browsing, email checking, photo storing, Office using PC...

They're both good CPUs, the main difference between them here is 100MHz.

And they both have AMD's CoolNQuiet so they can both clock down to save power when the full potential of the chip is not needed... but all modern AMD chips have this since the original Athlon64, i believe..

Wow I never knew that word processing and internet access requires more CPU power than I have! :O

:withstupid:

4850e - decent performance , dual core, 45W Thermal Power.