i7 OC'ing

Nuclear

Hey guys! A few days ago I purchased a new i7 920 C0 for a guy, and as luck would have it he came up quite short on funds when payment was due so rather than send it back I decided to bring this little guy home with me :) I just started playing with it tonight but it looks to be a real gem right now, at least for a C0 stepping. I don't do well talking so I'll just give the specs and let the pics do the rest.

Setup:

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 (0302 BIOS)

Intel Core i7 920 C0

6GB GSkill DDR3 1600 (PI Black)

eVGA GTX 285 (vanilla)

Cooling:

Feser Dual Rad

EK Supreme LT Block

mcp 355 pump with XPSC rez top

Max OC up to this point:

920_42.jpg

546947.png

SuperPI run @ 4.2GHz:

SuperPI_42.jpg

Specs:

CPU vcore: 1.4v

QPI: 1.35v

DRAM: 1.66v

Just for fun, here's a 3DMark06 run at 3.9GHz. I'm including a run on my Phenom II 940 @ 3.9GHz also just as an indication or a comparison between the two setups. I'm not trying to start a war...but I get a lot of PMs asking about the 940 vs. the i7 920. Expect some 4.2GHz+ 3DMark06 and Vantage runs tomorrow night.

3DMark06 i7 @ 3.9GHz

3DMark06 PII 940 @ 3.9GHz

why not vista the Phenom?

My 940 test rig is only running 2GB of GSkill Blacks so there really isn't a need to run Vista. I only run XP SP3 and Vista x64. This same i7 rig running XP SP3 would probably score considerably more, it really wouldn't have been near that close. I would also like to mention that HT was disabled on the i7 for that run.

Nice chip! What batch code

Batch: 3837B789 Costa Rica

I'll probably put this chip up for sale soon, I've got a 920 D0 coming from TankGuys tomorrow and don't want to order yet another X58 board.

That is pretty good, mine done 4200 on air. I also found that I got better scores in 06 with HT off vers HT on. Here is mine from the wars on DICE the orb says 4400mhz but it was actually 220 x 21 http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=10177533

I didn't test this chip on air and honestly last night was just a quick rundown with little to no tweaking. I'm positive I can run those speeds with a much lower vcore but I just didn't just spend the time tweaking it. I plan on really going through the system tonight and getting the most out of it with the lowest voltages possible.

I'm also going to load up my Windows 7 image tonight and give it go to measure the differences in Vista x64 and the latest 7 x64 drop, so it should be busy!

I didn't test this chip on air and honestly last night was just a quick rundown with little to no tweaking. I'm positive I can run those speeds with a much lower vcore but I just didn't just spend the time tweaking it. I plan on really going through the system tonight and getting the most out of it with the lowest voltages possible.

I'm also going to load up my Windows 7 image tonight and give it go to measure the differences in Vista x64 and the latest 7 x64 drop, so it should be busy!

good luck, let us know how it turns out :thumbs-up:

Yes definitely let us know, try 06 with and without HT and see what you get if you have time. I have not had time to mess with mine since the wars and one 4870x2 bit the dust. I got the replacement and all but have not had time to do anything with it.

Yes definitely let us know, try 06 with and without HT and see what you get if you have time. I have not had time to mess with mine since the wars and one 4870x2 bit the dust. I got the replacement and all but have not had time to do anything with it.

I can tell you that 3DMark06 does not like HT, it doesn't matter what CPU speed I run the test at I consistently lose about 1000 points with HT on. My CPU scores are much higher, but the GFX scores are much lower which result in the lower score. Vantage loves HT and scores much higher with it on, much like running it with PhysX enabled...it gives quite a point boost.

Well...I didn't have much time to work on this overclock tonight. A good friend of my wife and I had a baby yesterday so my wife has been visiting her, which meant I was all by my lonesome to take of the baby. I managed to squeeze in about 30 minutes but nothing too eventful.

Here's 4.35Ghz:

920_43.jpg

547450.png

I managed to get some really good superpi times in, but I'll have to upload the images later. I've only got a minute :)

Edit: That vcore shot was while Prime95 was running in the background, it's running the same speeds now...just at a much lower vcore.

Edited by Nuclear

Last one before I join the baby in a good night's rest.

SuperPI as promised above:

SuperPI_43.jpg

Running tests now at ~4.45GHz on 1.55v. I won't run anymore voltage through this chip, even though it can take it

920_44.jpg