Adverse effects of running GPU fan @ 100%???

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the only adverse effect I can think of is from the perspective of nvidia frowning on the fact that we aren't paying them for the potential performance that can be had with the few extra mhz that can be gained with the temp drop

I'm pretty sure that this is true at higher temps (50C+)

But I'm not actually sure about anything below that :rolleyes:

just throwing my 2 cents in :thumbs-up:

I really doubt this constitutes calling it a "rule of thumb".

I'm going with Waco's rule of thumb, myself...

Great debate everyone :)

What about configuring auto fan control settings to swing between higher rpms?

Can this be done? IF so, how?

Also, does the stock fan auto setting keep it (running within stock) within acceptable temp settings?

thx

you can mod the bios of the card and reflash it

Or you can make profiles with Rivatuner.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/rivatuner-20...verclock-guide/

I have done both, and both work well. Due to the noise of a fan at 100%, no card manufacturer wants to really crank them up...but by all means, we should do so. Is there anything bad about it? A cooler card and more noise from your PC. That's about it. Is anyone here worried about their card not lasting 10 years?

When I got my 8800GT, I decided that temps in the 90C range were unacceptable. Creating a profile in Rivatuner (then modding the BIOS later) brought full load temps down below 70C....then I started watercooling, so temps were no longer an issue.

Now the card is dead and I am not saying why. :)

Or you can make profiles with Rivatuner.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/rivatuner-20...verclock-guide/

I have done both, and both work well. Due to the noise of a fan at 100%, no card manufacturer wants to really crank them up...but by all means, we should do so. Is there anything bad about it? A cooler card and more noise from your PC. That's about it. Is anyone here worried about their card not lasting 10 years?

When I got my 8800GT, I decided that temps in the 90C range were unacceptable. Creating a profile in Rivatuner (then modding the BIOS later) brought full load temps down below 70C....then I started watercooling, so temps were no longer an issue.

Now the card is dead and I am not saying why. :)

you put molasses in the water pump didn't you :lol:, and damn I was thinking that you could make a profile in Rivatuner but I never fiddled with it so I wasn't sure how capable it would be.

you put molasses in the water pump didn't you :lol:, and damn I was thinking that you could make a profile in Rivatuner but I never fiddled with it so I wasn't sure how capable it would be.

it works very well, there are several good guides out there in addition to the random one I linked.

No molasses. Honest. Just went wonky on me, I don't think I had a leak...corrupted video even during boot.

THe only advbesre effects by running it at 100% is that the fan will die sooner and you will have a bit more noise. Simple. I have killed 4 GPU coolers and Inadvertently had those cards die on me shortly after the fan failed. In fact the smell of the burnt card and lack of noise alerted me to the fan failure. After the reboot that happen the cards usually ended up DOA. Just my experience. This is From a 9800 Pro up to a 9600GT.

I've only heard the 10c rule of thumb when talking about transmissions or engines, with electronics I believe the life expectancy is less static than double for every 10c drop. however any component whether it be electronic or mechanical will have a longer life when running cooler. To answer the original question, there will be no negative impact from running cooler, and if you can live with the noise go for it. you might get another 6-12 months out of the device.