Hello

kp61drifter

just joined, and thought i should intruduce myself. ive been an auto mechanic for the last 7yrs and decided that i wanted to start playing with computers. i bought an hp from best buys, added a nvidia 9600gt, and a couple weeks later the mobo fried. took it back to best buy, and they hooked me up with this gateway that i have now. its a lx6810, and it has the intel core 2 quad q8200. with 88gb of ram. there are some game that i would love to play, but at 2.33ghz, i just dnt feel they perform well. i havew my 9600gt installed. i have cpu-z, and it says that my mainboard is a gateway FMCP7AM, nVidia nforce 730i chipset, and the bios is AMI version R01-A0. i have not been able to change any values in my bios. can any1 help?

On a pre-built computer you will probably not be able to overclock at all in the BIOS. There might be exceptions to this rule, but it's about 98% guaranteed that if you have a pre-built motherboard, you can't overclock.

If you want to OC, you may need to get a new motherboard.

welcome to occ...

can you take that pc back and get your money back? or maybe you could sale it...

folks around here could fairly easily get you hooked up with a parts list and probably plenty of info to get yourself a nice gaming pc built.

plus you could probably save money.

just an idea :)

Edited by Maj0r Gamer

welcome to occ

you could always try flashing the mobo with some new bios see if it unlocks anything before spending the $$

This is a good idea but if your pc is still in waranty changing the bios and then the settings might void it Just a thought

Welcome to OCC

A 2.33Ghz quad isn't bad at all. Untill recently I was gaming with a 4800+ :D

What settings are you playing at?

As stated before the BIOS are probably locked. Sometimes a ctrl f1 will do the trick. I've also encountered BIOS that have a few steps you must go through before you can change any settings. Flashing the BIOS will also give you this ability (just don't do it wrong) :D

Depending on the game and what settings your using I'd say the GPU is more of a reason for unsatisfactory performance. You can try to upgrade that through Rivatuner, and it might improve performance.

Whatever you end up doing Good Luck, and feel free to ask any questions :D